AHHHH! I'm officially 29!
SUPER CRAZY!
I still feel like I'm 22.
I had a FANTASTIC birthday week (since we Degn kids all think our birthdays should last a whole week.....and we DRAW it out!.....and I did just that.)
My official birthday was last Wednesday. I went and got a massage that day, got a surprise Smoothie from Brooks and later that night picked up my parents for their visit.
Quick history:
When I was little we would always have a birthday dinner on the Sunday closest to our birthdays where we picked the menu. Then we had cake, presents and included in the presents was a "junk box". All of us kids saved it until the last to open because it was our favorite. It's a box of all our favorite foods......that are JUST OURS!!!! You didn't have to share. Growing up in a family of 8 kids.....well, that was HUGE. So when Mom asked what I wanted for my birthday, I said, "A Junk box and a birthday dinner".....because I haven't had EITHER since I've been married and I wanted to feel like a kid again.
History done.
Sooooooooo, on Sunday, we all chipped in and made steak, asparagus (because the store didn't have artichokes....by favorite food), fruit salad, mashed potatoes and gravy.
Then we had a white cake that was layered, but between the layers were peach and raspberry sherbet. Super yummy. With a lime/whipped cream topping.
THEN came the main event.....my junk box. Here is what I got:



(Because Iris ate my the other day)

(Fruit smoothie drinks)

Chocolate covered raisins (don't worry, they were in a bag and not just loose)

pistachios

My sister sent the biggest bag possible of Swedish fish.....yummy!


I have NO clue where they found the oh so delicious artichoke.

Only-in-Utah-chocolate-covered-cinnamon bears

Mamao. (Or a big papaya)....but mine looked better. It was HUGE, dark orange and the MOST flavorful one I've had since living in Brazil. I had an ulcer in Brazil and the doctor told me to eat one of these each morning for breakfast (rough huh...) and it just took me back to those days!!!
My junk box ROCKED.
Not only THAT, but Brooks got me tickets to the U.S. National Figure Skating Championship for me and my sister to go next January!!!!!! I can't wait....but obviously, I'm going to have to.
But that's not all. I've got the best friends ever.
-My friend Amanda dropped by some REAL fruit leather (one of my FAVS!!)
-Andrea brought me nail polish and strawberries/brown sugar/cream dessert
-a few of my friends surprised me with breakfast and TONS of lotion and hand soap (does that mean I have to wash my kids' hands now?)
-Ann made me a CUTE pin to wear
-and I JUST drove in my driveway from FOUR stores looking for electric blankets (with 4 kids) and was a little pooped and my friend Rachel (who just had a baby and doesn't need to be thinking of me right now) had left some BUBBLY (A&W rootbeer), Skittles, NIPS and a rockin' poem to go with it all! (I know you're all thinking I posted Nips as my favorite thing right before my birthday as part of an evil plan to get some........which you would be wrong..........but whatever effect it had, I'm GRATEFUL)
It was a pretty awesome birthday.........week.
8 comments:
hmmmm, maybe I should reconsider the anti-birthday policy in my family, especially if I can get a massage out of it =)
I LOVE the junk box idea!!! For gift giving occasions, we have given presents of our favorite treats - mostly candy bars or pop, but they've been wrapped separately - ususally from the kids, since they can afford that kind of thing, but having a whole box of it is super fun. I'll start it on the next B-day - but that's my baby, who will be 2 - what kind of "junk" do I get her? ;)
Was the junk box wrapped differently to identify it? Was it marked? Or not even wrapped? (Basically, how did you know which present it was to save for last?)
P.S. Do you have Costco where you live? Our Costco has 4-packs of artichokes right now.
Happy (belated) Birthday!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU for letting the "Elders" come invade again, right after you've just been hosting your parents.....
LOVE the junk box. Genius idea....mine would have swedish fish too!!! ;)
AND........if you do have a Costco they have the mango slices too!!!
Don't cater to those boys too much it makes me look bad!!!! THANKS.
ooooo, happy birthday! When you are done partay-ing it up, i wanna play!
you old lady... :)
Happy Birthday (late!)!!
You definitely scored on the junk box! Love the dried mangos and most of the other items in your box. What a fun idea. Your pinata looks great! Done a few tricky characters myself and it is always funny how I never think of the support system for drying until they are already wet and you are like "now how am I going to do this?" Keeps things interesting.
What a fun month so far for you guys!
Happy Berfdee babe! I'm so glad you got what you wanted allll weeeek loooong. Hooray!!
Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Happy Belated Birthday!! I feel the same way about the age thing. Sometimes I think I am a teenager babysitting a bunch of kids. So weird.
Post a Comment