Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Girl Names

Naming a baby is kind of a big deal, ya know? Every couple has their "requirements" as to what goes into a baby name..........one of mine is that at LEAST one of the names has to mean something or after someone or have a story. I loved that both my names (Melissa Lowrie) had cool history behind them. Understandably, you can see how hard this might be to pick a name w/ someone who's only requirements are 
1) has to be not-so-common (seriously people, I agree with this one!!! On the day I gave birth to Bronson there were 3 other "Melissa Smiths" giving birth that day and they got all our bills mixed up!!!)
2) we call him by the first name. Brooks is actually his middle name and we ALWAYS come into problems w/ legal/documents/schooling, etc. because of it.

okay, okay, those are his only requirements, but I have to put rules on it w/ in "taming" that first rule a little......as in, you have to be able to look at the name and pronounce it. And you have to think of the teasing-factor in school or maybe what their names rhyme with or if the name can be cute/cool on a 3 yr. old AND a 40 yr old.  

Brooks usually names the kids after I tame it and then I pick the name that "means" something. The only child I just told him what the name was going to be was Iris.....after my Grandma. And since it WAS unusual and we were calling her by her first name (and he truly didn't think she'd come out being a girl anyway since we didn't find out her gender) I just told him how it is.

Our other kids names have a little bit of both of our requirements:
Bronson Ronnie-  Brooks' brother's name is Bronson and said growing up he always wished his name was               Bronson instead of Brooks and his first born was going to named that. :) (this is AFTER he tried to convince me to name him "Illini" after a college team's mascot....SERIOUSLY?!?!?) And Ronnie after Brooks' dad.....the man that helped raise the perfect husband for me.

Camden Niels-  We saw "Camden" on a road sign in Tennessee (REAL noteworthy, I know), and Niels after an ancestor in my family that gave everything he had for what he believed in. Truly a neat story.

Emerson Woodruff- Brooks was reading in the Book of Mormon about a man mentioned briefly named "Emer" and how he saw the Son of God. Then it got him thinking and he changed it to "Emerson" When he presented that name to me I said, "As in Ralph Waldo?" and he looked at me and said, "Who?" Sheesh. Really?!!?? But I liked it and since I've always wanted to name a child after my dad, Ralph, I thought this was my way (THROUGH Ralph Waldo) of naming a kid after my dad.......and Brooks from what he had read. Make sense? Woodruff after my great-great grandfather Wilford Woodruff who's courage, leadership and ability to serve the Lord unceasingly is a trait I want and want all my kids to have.

Aleeya Lowrie- I liked the name "Leah", Brooks wanted a twist on it. Surprised? And "Aleah" was too normal, so we spelled it phonetically. Lowrie after my middle name and great grandma.

Iris Ann- Iris from my Grandma who endured so much in her life, but all I remember her as was the happiest,  infamous cook and best hugger in the world who always carried gum in her purse for me. Plus, she raised my dad by herself and helped shape who he became. I can't thank her enough for that. Ann is my Mom's middle name who shaped who I've become. I love how she has lived her life and I wouldn't mind following exactly in her path........maybe Iris will too one day (if she could JUST keep her paws off the nail polish she just might survive past 4 yrs. old)

Royce Hyrum- Brooks presented the name "Royster" to me early on my pregnancy with him. I looked at him (like I usually do when he gives me a weird name......and it happens a lot, mind you) and said, "as in something that rhymes with OYSTER?!?!?!" So I threw it out. Then the week he was born Brooks said, "How about Royce?". I loved it. Strong (assuming he could pronounce his "r"s.....unlike all his siblings before him), concise and no question on how you pronounce it. Hyrum after the prophet Joseph Smith's (we are not related to them, btw) brother who's loyalty knew no bounds. Truly a real hero and one to aspire to become like.

And if you're STILL reading (this post will actually be a fun one to have in my blog book w/ all the explanations, so sorry if it's wordy) and care, WE DO NOT HAVE A DEFINITE NAME FOR THIS LITTLE GIRL!!!!!

When I think of things/events/people that mean something to me during this pregnancy are these:

-Ondansestron......which isn't a decent name, but considering this generic form of Zofran practically SAVED MY LIFE during my first trimester/2nd from nausea, you just can't rule it out!!!!
- Pacaembu......which is the name Brooks promised the guard at the soccer field in Brazil that we would name our child if he let us in. Thankfully, for this child's sake, he didn't let us in.
-Rocket......not very feminine, I know but Bronson thinks my belly doesn't look round like a ball shape, that's it's more pointy like a rocket, and THAT would remind me of this pregnancy, right?
-Sciatic (Sciatica?)........which is what nerve she likes to hang out on. Too mermaid-ish.....
-Twizzlers, Nips, Bubbly, Twix and Clementine aren't really names are they? (maybe Clementine?.....I can just hear the song being sung to her her whole life now) But they would all remind me of this time period and my cravings.
-Salem....from our old town? Not girly enough.....and associated with witches.
Well, good thing I still have 5+ weeks left to figure this out.......and many awakenings during the night to think about this. Which reminds me how about "Lu"??!? As in, I spend a LOT of trips running to it. Hmmmmmm,
maybe we should just keep thinking.

8 comments:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Ha ha ha...love the post. Good luck with the name! It was always so fun thinking of names and having an even constant conversation about which name would be best. Lee would suggest ones like Cain....

Jamie said...

This was fun to read! I've always wondered about your kids' names.

Crystal said...

Very fun to read about the names! I firmly believe that kids should be named after someone. Of six kids, I am the only one not named after someone. It's still a sore spot for me today. Even my little sister is named after someone. What's up with that? : )

McKenna said...

We can't agree on any boy names with this one. Do you mind if I steal Twizzlers or Nips? :)

Emma and Dan said...

I love Zofran! You are such a warrior to have 7 babies eventhough you get so sick. I think you should definitely name her after the generic version. :) Names are so fun. I loved reading about your kids' names.

Rachel K said...

Hmmm, maybe you could do something relating to your current city since this will be the first baby born there...OR something with Carolina, Caroline, or something like that since you are getting a double shot of the carolinas.

Darcy said...

I've always like the name Darcy!!!

Garnerfam said...

I love this post and I love their names!!