Last October I took on a Challenge..... Myself and two other friends decided we would get our Personal Progress done (as adults....we've all done it as teenagers before).
The prize? An overnight babysitting while the winning WINNER gets to go to the temple w/ her husband.
What's interesting is that along the way it obviously became more then winning (seriously, did I just say that?!?!), and it truly was a fantastic journey full of goals, spiritual feasting, examining myself/my faults and how I could become better. It meant more doing it as an adult. It's like I NEEDED the spiritual strength more now then before. I needed it to carry over in my mothering, wife-ing, church service and showing compassion and service to others. Not to mention all the journal writing that came along w/ it. Most of the goals include writing your feelings about that goal or your progress. I'm glad I have record of that journey.
However, you can BET that when I finished on March 2nd that I sent an email out to those two ladies to declare my status as victor. Yep, I sure did.....I believe it was 10:30 at night too when I finished the last page of the Book of Mormon (which I HIGHLY suggest you all read it) ;) AND you can actually request a FREE COPY!
Fast forward 5 months and I'm FINALLY cashing in on my overnight temple trip.....and the sucker Rachel actually had ALL 6 KIDS spending the night with her 3 and one other baby she was babysitting. Yep, 10 kids. Oh, and our turtle....Spiro wanted to go play w/ her turtle.
The kids played a lot of video games (look at these 6 boys)

Bronson read them all stories

Aleeya got her awesome fake nails done

and Iris was just entertained to be w/ her close buddy Mallory.....who happens to be 10 months younger but they share clothes/diapers/shoes....yep, they're that close. Come to think about it, I don't think I even have a friend that close.....

They had a great time and now I hear about how much better HER popcorn is, and HER breakfasts are awesome, yadda yadda. Yea, I know, real self-esteemer booster huh.
(By-the-way, my date w/ Brooks was AWESOME. I even went to the spa the next morning and got a massage. Lovin' the winning thing....)
Rachel is one person that doesn't like losing though (can't imagine why we're friends!)....and well, today she got me good. Got me REAL good. Infact, I thought I got her enough w/ the overnighter, etc. but well, she got me better.
Let me explain. One of my 10 hour projects (there are 7) I worked on was to practice/re-learn/study Portuguese.....which I USED to be fluent in as a teenager and frankly, just have lost it. I get REALLY nervous speaking it and my belly gets REALLY really tight....and I get embarrassed (yes, it can be done). Rachel knew my goal and so when I earned the medallion (that's what you get when you finish) she wrote the bishop to tell him that goal and how it would be a GREAT idea to present me w/ the medallion in front of everyone. So there I was sitting in church when the bishop called me up in front of EVERYONE to present me w/ the necklace.
See? Isn't it pretty? I love it....and yes, that's Rachel. Why the smile you ask?
Well, after the bishop gave me the medallion he asked me to bear my testimony in PORTUGUESE!!!!!! Oh my word. Public speaking has NEVER bothered me, but I was physically shaking, my stomach tight and I couldn't think of a THING.
I THINK I bore a testimony....I know I felt it inside. I know I felt what I was saying was true, because it is. But I really couldn't tell you exactly what I said.
Then I sat down and thought of EVERYTHING I could've said and how I could've conjugated that verb and used that word, etc. Lame, I know.
But the smile on her face when I finally saw her was priceless. It was almost like her loss was all worth it at that moment.
Why I even start competitions w/ her is beyond me.....I should stop. Really.....Oh wait, we're RIGHT in the middle of another one right now. She has decided to pick a different battle w/ me this time ( one that I'm NOT good at).....water drinking. (w/ our friend Erin)
Losers clean the winner's bathrooms.....that just MIGHT be worth sucking it up and drinking my water gallons.
7 comments:
Great job getting your medallion again! That is so funny about your friend writing the Bishop and having you get up there and share your testimony in Portuguese.
By the way....how did CrossFit turn out????
I'm doing mine right now!! I'm excited about it. I just got called to the YW so I figured, why not!!
If you thought my face was priceless then you didn't see yours. The best part is when he first called your name you looked in my direction but sike I wasn't sitting in my normal spot (not because of this but because I have been taking Mallory out alot lately and hated the long walk) Seriously, it was worth losing. What did Brooks think? I bet he was proud of me!
Oh fun! Are in Young Women's now? Good job!!! :)
I've considered redoing my PP just to get the pretty silver medallion. I love the idea of challenging others with a prize involved. Especially since the DC temple is 4 hours away. I think I'll have to give it a try.
Congratulations! Your achievement is awesome, and it's great that its effects extend SO FAR beyond the end of the projects & value experiences. I really enjoyed your testimony, and I'm glad that you shared the story behind it! Now, get ready for cleaning bathrooms...seriously. :-)
Post a Comment