Everyone was excited to meet Grandma and RA at the beach house! Let's see, do we have everything ready to see RA?
A&W? Check.
I think we got it all.
And we loaded 'em all up and headed for Myrtle Beach. This was Elle's first experience in the Yeti.....with 10 other people......during a few naptimes.......and FACING them the whole way, but man, she was a trooper.
About 40 miles out of town we commented on how smooth sailing everything was going......
then there was this weird sound........and then a BANG.
The stranded ones......
Brooks called our car mechanic he loves and asked what he should do. It just SO happens that good ol' trusty Brother Leckie was there (he has helped us MANY times and w/ our other car) at the shop and said he would run and buy us an alternator, drive it out to where we were and help Brooks put it in.
This was SUCH a blessing (with an obvious hand from above) because now we didn't need to call 3 people to come pick us up and take us home, tow the Yeti anywhere, etc. And PLUS we had a Yeti PACKED with a week's worth of food and toys.
In order to speed the process up, Brooks wanted to hitch-hike for 4 miles to go to a gas station and get some tools to take OUT the alternator so it will be all ready when Brother Leckie arrived. I wasn't feeling TOO safe about the idea, but he insisted and told me no one was going to mess with his guns (he flexed) and headed out to the highway......thumb up.
What are the stinkin odds that someone in scrubs picked him up......and someone that worked in HIS hospital......who was headed to Myrtle Beach himself?!?! See what I mean about a little help from above?
(the boys were playing Battleship in the grass)
The babies did great................ish............
Then not so great.
And the positive attitudes started to wax cold a little.........except Iris.
So we had to become AWFULLY creative with entertaining them.
(truth be told, they were actually quite the troopers!!!!)
Brother Leckie arrived and they worked and worked on it.
And after 3.5 hours of being stuck on the side of the road.................it was finished.
Have you ever seen a more MANLY man eating his sandwich before.........how about a little SANDWICH WITH YOUR GREASE??!?!?













6 comments:
How is it, Melissa, that you can always turn the most awful situation into something so fun? I'm all wishing we could break down on the side of the road now so we can have fun, too :)
I agree with Bekah - you always seem to make the best of circumstances that would make me break down and cry. And what a blessing (several, actually) to have all those people help you! Someone upstairs must really like you guys. ^_~
My comment was the same as there's. When I was reading this, I thought you are always so positive.
I can't help but smile when I think of our trips with the Yeti!! Unfortunately, I think I'm the one that cursed us on the way there with my compliments of how great the Yeti is for the whole family! I was in the middle of writing my long blog post about our trip when I read this and started laughing as our stories mirror each other...I told Brons if we were in school it would look a little like plagiarism! Hands down, the best picture is of Iris' big smile with the other kids frowning in the back!! What great memories!
Wow, quite the excitement! You guys are troopers. How awesome that everything fell into place. I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip! I was thinking about you and the Yeti the other day actually! My sister recently bought a 12 passenger van (she had 7 kids too) and they just picked it up a week ago. Is Linsey your sister? I love it when family visits!
Sweet kids were probably just going nuts wanting to get to the beach! So cute. It is wonderful you were all together at least, and were clearly taken care of! Look forward to beach pictures!
Post a Comment