CLARIFICATION ALERT!!!!!
In lieu of quite a few email responses recently about the post "My Day", I would like to clarify that it is just my OUTLINE to my day.
Let it be known that there is MUCH teasing, complaining, crying, whining, time-outs, teasing, referee-ing, noise levels up to astronomical heights and a LOT of teasing.
Infact when Brooks got home the other day he said, "How was your day?" and I just walked right into the bathroom, closed the door and started singing one of my favorite church songs, "Where Can I Turn for Peace".
I did it mostly to make him laugh (and it worked) but it illustrated exactly how I felt at the time.
Motherhood is hard.
And very VERY un-glamorous.
It reminds me of an experience I had last fall during fall baseball here.

(Isn't Emerson a cute catcher?)
So I went to a LOT of the games by myself w/ either being 6 kids + 9 months prego, or 6 kids + a VERY NEW newborn. It was tricky.....and I didn't always look/act put-together. I tried and maybe I succeeded, but inside I was pretty exhausted.......like a LOT.
There was one game Brooks was finally able to come to. I had enough time to "get ready", etc. And since I wasn't the only one chasing kids around I decided I would sit down w/ all the other moms and be social and "blend in" more. (I hadn't always gotten the best "vibes" from them before)
It was hard because I couldn't really relate to the "Uh, the nanny dropped him off late for this game!" , "I was in ______ school classroom volunteering every day this week", "I'm so tired, I went straight from work, to get my nails done to here" comments going around. So I looked down at the lady's nails that made the nail-comment and said, "Oh, well, at least your nails look so nice."
She smiled and said, "You don't know Jacques"
When I grew up the phrase, "You don't know Jack" meant you didn't know anything!!! Although I'm sure it applied in my case, I could tell by her look that she didn't mean it like that. So I smiled and looked around and another women said, "Well, I was the first one to discover 'You don't know Jacques'." I looked down at her nails and THEY were the same color too!

Apparently the color is CALLED "You don't know Jacques". I looked at every ONE of those 6 ladies' nails and they were all that color!!! Without even having to look down, I knew what mine looked like.......not-polished and bitten down really short (I bite my nails in my during-the-night feedings w/ a newborn).
I get constant reminders of how I'm different from most women. That was just another one......
but I couldn't help but think on the way home, that I didn't really CARE if I knew "Jacques" (so to speak).
I DIDN'T want to be just like them. I WANTED to be surrounded by all my little ones. I LOVED how they were out running around and playing instead staying by their mom BEGGING for concessions because they hadn't had dinner yet (due to a nail appt) like my kids had. I love how they had me all day with them, regardless if it was stressful and a lot of teasing going on. And if all of that means that I may have not been as nicely dressed, in the right size of clothing w/ no spit-up running down the front, bags under my eyes, not a fresh highlight/cut and my nails not done.......
you know what? I'll take it.
One of my favorite quotes ever ever EVER:
“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon [or the Yeti] that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”
― Marjorie Pay Hinckley
I want to drive up in a station wagon [or the Yeti] that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”
― Marjorie Pay Hinckley

8 comments:
Well said, Melissa! I love that quote by Sister Hinckley, too. I know I only have 5 kids but that's EXACTLY how I feel.. And when I do get the looks and have to be the outcast bc I'm chasing my kids, It's easy to feel sorry for myself but then I remember "this is what i want! This is MY life and i love it! This is the stuff that matters and makes me happy!" There will be times for lunch dates with friends, manicures, and all that other silly stuff AFTER kids. For now, it's all about them and their needs.
I admire you taking the gang to the games solo. I only brave story hout at the library and our HS classes alone. You rock this whole motherhood thing, and quite glamouously, I might add.
Ditto - everything Bekah said. She beat me to it.
That is so funny about the nail paint color...not sure that I would EVER have caught on! As I said last time, you are such a great Mom! And I would to see you arrive at the gates in the Yeti!!!
You are amazing. This is my favorite post probably. I do not like these women with their manicures giving you bad vibes. NOT okay. They clearly don't know how lucky they are to be in your presence. They should JUMP on the chance to know you and learn from you and be your friend.
Although... Who wants to be friends with someone who complains about being tired bc they had to squeeze in a nail appt?!? And, are they 11 years old? Matching nail polish bc it's trendy?!? Never mind... You don't want those people for friends anyway.
Love this!
Melissa, I really like this open side of you. I love your posts, but this is really something relateable that really touched me and made me connect with you in a way I don't think I have before. I think you have a lot to offer by sharing what you see as everyday-ness rather than always looking for your "simple surprises" (which are SO great, don't get me wrong) But I think you, yourself, in all your worn-outness and spit up and whatnot have a lot more to teach the rest of us than you realize. Keep it up my friend. I feel spiritually fed. :-)
I always feel like that when moms are so excited to send their kids back to school. They plan lunch and shopping trips to celebrate and I sit on my bed and cry. Kudos to the mom who volunteers at the school everyday. If both her kids are in school during the day then I think that's a great place to be.
Post a Comment