Saturday, March 24, 2012

My "chest" is filled with love

When I found out I was pregnant @ 4 weeks, I KNEW that if this pregnancy was anything like the past um.....4, that I would start getting sick around 6 weeks.
That meant I had at least 2 weeks to get everything done I needed to.
(Remember that post where we showed our house, spread mulch, painted, power-washed etc.? That was the weekend before my 6th week when I was still healthy. Coincidence? I think not. Heavenly Father had my back on that one.)

In those 2 weeks I went to work on projects on the home, did stuff for my church calling, but most importantly (in my mind) I needed to get some meals in the freezer. So I cooked and doubled and tripled recipes. I conned my 2 friends Rachel and Allison to do a freezer meal swap w/ me, so I ended up w/ 9 meals from that. All in all, I think I had about 20-ish meals.

And at 6 weeks and 1 day, I got sick. Amazing. Do I know my body or what?
Even when I went for the ultrasound and the lady was showing me the baby and the "yolk" sac thing next to the baby she said, "You see this yolk? That's what is releasing the hormones and making you so sick!" My baby was a raspberry-sized thing at the time and the yolk was maybe 1/4 a size of my baby. So this 1/4 a size of a raspberry made me so sick. Incredible. (and if you think I wasn't cursing the yolk all the time after that day, then you would be wrong!)

Then on those sick days that I was done w/ being sick, I couldn't help but think, "Would I rather have my health and NOT have this baby?" This answer was an OBVIOUS NO WAY!!!! So I would just smile spiritually and think, I was taking one for the team so another one of Heavenly Father's spirits could get a body and come to earth.

Anyway, last week there was a baby shower and before the shower my visiting teacher, Kim said she wanted to stop by really fast, visit and then go to the shower. For dinner that night I pulled out my 2nd to the last freezer meal out and was a little sad to see them almost gone. My freezer was basically empty except for a few things on the bottom.
I heard the door and knew it would be Kim. I came to the door and saw a WHOLE PORCH FULL OF WOMEN!!!!! And they were all carrying freezer meals for me.

I was so overwhelmed and couldn't help but think that there were SO many others out there suffering more then I was and going through a harder time. I felt a little unworthy. I COULD HAVE made my family meals, yes. I was able enough for sure. And of course I didn't NEED them. But as I led them down to my freezer (by my big ol' pile of laundry, yikes!) and saw them fill my freezer back up to the top, I couldn't help but just sit back in awe.
I had a great time @ the shower, but by the time I was in the car home, I was feeling like I was ready to crash. I walked in, sat on my couch downstairs, because I just didn't have enough energy to walk up the stairs. Later I decided I had enough energy to walk out to the freezer to check out all the meals (Because I didn't really get to examine them!!!!).
I sat there looking at them and just cried a few tears of gratitude.
Tears of knowing I have the best friends who teamed up to lighten my burden just that much more. I feel so very lucky to know people like these women.

3 comments:

Davis and Laura said...

Love that story...and miss that ward. Its been hard to top! Sorry you've been sick---hope its passes soon! :)

Janene said...

Wow!! Congratulations on the new one to come! You are amazing Melissa. I honestly don't know how you do it! And congratulations on your match for another residency! It's funny to hear your description of match day. We're waiting for the same thing for the 3rd time (med school, residency, now fellowship...) and can't wait to find out!

I hope you get feeling better soon! And that's awesome that you have such supportive friends to lighten your burdens. It's funny how our burdens can seem so insignificant in the big scheme of things, but that love your friends have for you shows how much our Heavenly Father loves you too. Congrats again!

Stephanie said...

Well congratulations, Melissa! I hope you have a good pregnancy overall and that all the sick stuff passes quickly. You guys make such cute babies!!