
(Yes, Camden WAS born on the first day of medical school while Brooks sat studying in the chair next to me afterwards)The Biggest Day you look forward to is Match Day.
It comes during your 4th year and tells you WHERE you will go for residency.
And each med school makes a HUGE GIGANTIC deal out of it. It's a WHOLE day thing w/ sometimes family in town, a big fancy shmancy luncheon where everyone opens up their letters all together.
(the only picture I can find from Brooks' match day @ ETSU, I had to borrow it from our friend Elizabeth.....and yes, that's baby Aleeya)

It was SO fun to find out where we were going and you end up being on cloud 9 all day long.
Since Brooks is doing ANOTHER residency come this fall, he had to enter the Match again, and yesterday happened to be Match Day.
Let's just say it was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle different then the first time around.
Brooks went to work
I stayed home
He said he would get an email around noon (AN EMAIL??!?!?!?! Whatever.)
Then I get an email from him saying he has a Pathology conference @ noon so he'll call me after. (CLEARLY the Pathology department could give a RAT'S BEHIND about his Match Day)
I went outside w/ the girls and we manually stabbed the grass around the mailbox to aerate for a good 45 minutes
(a glamorous thing to do on Match Day, might I add)
During my lawncare episode Brooks happened to call, but I was outside and missed it (seriously, I have a life!)
So he forwarded the "EXCITING" email to me and this is what it was:
Congratulations, you have matched!
Program Code: 1683120CDX
Program Name: Family Medicine
Institution Name: (yadda yadda this is a public blog), So Carolina
Program Code: 1683120CDX
Program Name: Family Medicine
Institution Name: (yadda yadda this is a public blog), So Carolina
I was THRILLED obviously because it's where we wanted and then I just started laughing.
4 years ago this was the biggest day EVER EVER and this time around he gets a 4 lined email.
The kids were glad to know as well because they like change/moving (like their mom), but that was it.
So there you have it, we're moving to South Carolina (can you tell we like this part of the country?)
Oh wait, the day WASN'T a totally normal day w/ a 4-lined email. We DID have something EXTRA happen to make it memorable. Camden caught a lizard!


Wait, now that I think about it, Camden catching ANYTHING really DOES mean it's a normal day around here........... Oh well.
9 comments:
yeah! I am so excited for you! I was hoping for Spokane WA even if it I am going to email you to ask where!!
Wahoo! Your first choice! That's great.
That does sound super anti-climatic compared to our awesome match day last year. Remember when my awesome friend offered to watch my kids so that I could enjoy the luncheon? :)
Maybe you'll celebrate with a date night this weekend?
YAY. You got your first choice. SO happy for you and SO happy you KNOW now, that's 1/2 the "battle" right.......Although "the missionaries" will REALLY miss their bi-anual trips to the Smith house!
CONGRATULATIONS. ;)
Nope, me, again, NOT P. Silly me.
james and i were just talking the other day about how yall had a baby on the first day of medical school. james was brooks's lab partner. so is brooks doing another residency? i had guess he was doing a fellowship when you were talking about the match. james is doing a fellowship in arkansas. so we have our house on the market, praying it sales, and will be moving the end of june!
LUCKY YOU, with your #1 choice...just in time for St. Patrick's Day...we don't have any Irish in our FAM, do we?! :)
That is wonderful news! Can't wait to read about your exciting adventures! When do they begin?
Im so hoping that place is SC is where I think it is :) super exciting!!!!!!!!
Yay for getting your first choice! I hope you guys love it. And HOLY SMOKES, you're pregnant! Congrats! My sister is having her third at the end of September...and I may or may not announce something myself in a week or so......
...but if I have to have three more to get some rest, there is going to be a strongly worded letter sent to...well, someone. :)
Post a Comment