Why you ask? Well Athena is the Greek Goddess of wisdom.
Bronson came home a week ago and invited me to a parents/students Greek party in his classroom because they just finished their Greek History/mythology unit.
Cool, I thought. I found a babysitter for the younger 3 and I was good.
Then Bronson came home the day before yesterday (THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY!!!!!) and gave me the flyer. On the flyer, it said "Olympics btw. the students vs. parents on their knowledge of Greek history/mythology". WHAT?!?!?
He never said ANYTHING about a competition! You mean I could've been studying this whole week?!!?? I mean, I've read the Percy Jackson books, I've eaten a gyro once and Greek/Roman mythology was my favorite class in 8th grade, but that's really all I had goin' for me. He told me he would bring me home a book yesterday to study. Here it is:

I happened to stay up until 11 last night studying it (even after 11 years from being in college of still have some MAD cramming/memorizing skills) and then as you see from the picture above, while I was stopped @ red lights on the way to his school.
I get there and they're all eating the foods that they used to eat in ancient Greece before the Olympics. Stuff like goat cheese, feta cheese, figs, grapes, honey, olives and Capri Suns. (Pretty sure the champion of the chariot races was ALWAYS The guy who downed the most Capri Suns before the competition)

That's Mrs. Coles, his teacher in the tunic above. Bronson goes from his awesome hispanic teacher (who teaches in spanish) who calls him lovingly, "Bronsito" (meaning "cute little Bronson") to Mrs. Coles class ( 3-5 graders ) where she calls him the manly nickname of "Bronsonian". I just love his teachers.
And here we are eating. Surprisingly the little peanut in my belly didn't gag up any goat cheese like it did w/ my pregnancy with Aleeya. Phew.

Then it came down to the MAIN event..........the students on one side and the parents on the other.

(To be quite honest, I was a little nervous because Bronson has come home talking about all these topics that I REMEMBER learning about them, but couldn't recall any facts. These kids knew EVERYTHING like the back of their.....well.....fig newtons they were eating.)
It was jeopardy style and the students were PRETTY much ahead the WHOLE stinkin' time. We parents missed the question on the year of the first Olympics (ARG! I skipped that chapter!), but got everything else right. Bronson and I kept signaling back and forth with a thumbs down sign telling the other that THEY WERE GOIN' DOWN (the same sign we give Dad when we're racing him to church in the other car).
And I HAAAAAAATE the brag or boast or have this be permanently in my printed blog book forever that Bronson's mom wanted to rub it in his face that we won................but...........who am I kidding, OF COURSE I'm documenting this! Check out that score people!

(think I embarrassed him enough posing by that?)
Ironically enough Athena was also the goddess of "just warfare" and I HATE to say it, but
the parents JUSTLY won, fair and square.
But don't try asking me any of those facts come next week, as I said, I'm a master at memorizing/cramming for a test. :) Bronson however, will remember this stuff for a long time. He loved this unit.
1 comment:
He shouldn't be embarrassed having you there at school like that - look how cute your outfit is!!! :)
Post a Comment