Tuesday, January 19, 2010

RALEIGH!

My kids LOVE going to hotels! We went to one on Friday night and had a blast.
He stopped at an Italian restaurant before we got there and actually went IN with all of them (first time in a formal restaurant) and they did great. But then again my kids LOVE spaghetti, so as soon as the dinner came out, we didn't hear a word from them until it was all finished. Even Iris was loving it and some breadsticks.
We don't have any TV stations or anything at home so when we go to hotels they FINALLY get to watch normal cartoons on the TV......and they LOVE it. Look at them all.This hotel (that we always stay at) has an indoor pool too. Here's Aleeya in the elevator going down to the pool. When she gets so excited about something she just grinds her teeth and clenches her fists like this.
(Check out her upper arms! Wow, I'm suddenly jealous)

She was so excited to be wearing a matching suit with Emerson at the pool. This is obviously before she was thrown in the pool. Me? I just hung out in the hot tub with Iris.....which wasn't really that hot this time (hence me taking Iris in there), but still soooooo relaxing.

The hotel serves breakfast there and Brooks usually takes the first two that wake up down to eat, then I take the other two when they wake up. It's more relaxing and enjoyable that way. Anyway, when I went down with Aleeya and Emerson there was a family sitting at the table next to us with some young boys all around the table. I didn't think anything of it, until they were all seated and I counted FIVE boys that looked exactly alike just different sizes. The Mom was running around getting all their plates and trying to keep them from disturbing everyone around. She had this look on her face like, "OKAY, now it's MY turn to eat, so stop asking for stuff!" (I know that look pretty well). I thought, how does she keep all these kids straight and tell them apart for that matter! She just had a ton!
I tapped her on her shoulder and asked about her boys. No twins, all hers and the oldest was 6! (Her youngest was older then Iris and I hadn't seen a family like our's before in action and even closer in age). 5 boys WAS Brooks' plan for our family before we started having kids......obviously I didn't follow the plan to well. It was fun to talk with her for a while and I think she was grateful to know that at least someone wasn't sitting around her judging her and thinking "can't you control your kids?!?"
Then it dawned on me, I betcha that's what people think when they see me. Like HOW would I be able to meet all their needs, interests, love, etc. But that never occured to be before, since my kids ARE so individual. I know their favorite foods, smells, clothes and favorite way for me to snuggle/scratch the (Bronson- loves his neck scratched, Camden-back, Emerson-face, Aleeya, full body with emphasis on the arms and legs and My sweet Iris just loves to be held anywhere). I know exactly who will eat what in the dinner and how much of the food to put on each plate. I know their favorite books and all the things their scared of and what they want to be when they grow up. I guess I just didn't understand before I had kids that I DO have enough love, attention and time to give to all of them and it doesn't result in a "Mass raising" of kids, because throughout the day, I DO get one-on-one time with each of them, as they each require different needs. It was nice to be reminded of that and that raising all these different personalities is quite fun and an adventure in itself.

Saturday morning Brooks and I just switched off at the temple in Raleigh. (while the kids were back at the hotel swimming some more). It was so wonderful, calming and nice to "re-group" for life in general. When I was getting an interview to go in, President Fisher told me something that his dad has always said about the temple (his dad is now in the Presidency at the temple), "The temple helps you change". Simple, I know. But I'm always in need of change and in MANY areas and I felt His help while inside in the temple. What a wonderful weekend.



4 comments:

Babelicious said...

Hey Melissa, is that a picture of you with your hairy chest in the hot tub? Ha Ha...Somebody should have told that guy to wear a t-shirt!!
It is true that every time a new child comes the love you have to give grows exponetially.
I'm glad you had a good day at the temple. It does seem to help "re-group" with everything doesn't it?

Niederfam said...

Sounds like just what the Dr. ordered???? The temple always does have that magnificent "calming" effect, in EVERY way possible, doesn't it.

The Ward's said...

Melissa,
What a good mom you are! YOur kids are so happy and so loved, and I loved reading your post because I certainly needed a reminder myself, of how great is is to have them!
YOur Great!!!

Kat Clark said...

Great post. I love when a real, down-to-earth mom does a parenting post. It doesn't sound too "been there, done that" it sounds positive and reassuring. It helps me remember that a life full of kids and mothering is good, great and grand. Thanks friend. Miss you.