Friday, June 12, 2009

Iris Update

Creative title name, I know.
Here's my new princess Iris at a week and a half old.She started off being a night owl little stink.
It's not like this idea of babies wanting to be awake at night was new or anything for me, but she was different. She wanted YOU up with her, and she wanted to tell you about it ALL.
I've FINALLY trained it out of her (much at my sanity's expense) and for 3 nights in a row I've got a girl that will sleep 6 hours, then get up, feed, and after maybe 10 minutes, go back to sleep. Baby steps, right?
She's super happy during the day and I just LOVE it when she's awake.
Her favorite place to nap during the day is Daddy's pillow. (below)
And yes, that is Sally resting her head on Iris. Sally is soooooo protective of her.
I love it though, because Sally licks Iris' feet while I'm feeding her and it helps Iris stay awake. I had a friend come by last night and Sally was RIGHT by Iris and making sure my friend was okay to be holding her. So funny.

Okay, the picture isn't messed up.....my daughter has a purple mouth. If you've EVER lived by me with any of my other kids, you know it's just standard. My babies get thrush. Period.
Every doctor swears that the nystatin crap will work, and it never does. Finally, I just went straight to the purple mouth (Gentian Violet) to get rid of it and I think I caught it early.

I asked my doctor is there's ANYTHING I could do to prevent it (this is while I was in the hospital) and they gave me the usual answer of
"Some people are just more YEASTY then others"
I mean is that even a word?!?! YEASTY?!?! So apparently, I'm yeasty. Well, I've got a few good words for them, but I shall refrain.
Anyway, I stopped caking her mouth with the purple dye, so hopefully I got all the yeast with it. Poor thing. But I HAVE always liked purple Irises.............

7 comments:

The Sanford Family said...

Melissa, what a beautiful baby and family!!!!! You sound so chipper for having four kids and a newborn! I'm glad she's sleeping better for you. It's amazing how well you can cope with a new baby and family with a little sleep behind you. I can't believe she's already a week and a half old! I love the dog being so protective. That's too cute!

Laura said...

She's so cute, and you AMAZE me! You are absolutely one of those special people who are blessed with the disposition to have 15 kids! YOU GO GIRL!!

Anonymous said...

how did you "train" her?

Susanne said...

K, I think it's so cute how you named her Iris, cause my great grandma (who went to school with Pres. Hinkley, and is still alive!! ) has that same name. Funny thing....her last name is Smith! She's a remarkable lady, so you are going to have you one remarkable little gal yourself. :) congrats and you are a champ for having 1 let alone 5:) good for you!

Nick & Alyson said...

Sick! I don't think we really need to know about YOUR yeast problem...but anyway she's adorable.

w and w said...

she is beautiful! no fair though your baby was so much lighter than my heavyweight champion! We'll have to swing by soon!

Stephanie said...

She is so beautiful. I hope she's feeling better from the thrush.