The role of the oldest in the family I think is so important.
I was number 7 in my family and always looked up to my oldest brother (well, all my older brothers) even though there was 13 years between us.
I find myself SO incredibly grateful (on a daily basis) that Bronson was our oldest. He has a lot of qualities that are worth looking up TO for his younger siblings.
And I couldn't resist......Kellyn is #7 and she was wearing Emerson's red shirt.....I just HAD to take a picture of her looking up at Papi like I was looking up to my older brother above.
I just HAD to.
(and I guess I never realized until this picture, but she definitely favors me at that age)
Anyway, Bronson turned 12 last month. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 12 is kinda a BIG age. It's when they move up to the youth group (ages 12-17) from the Primary (kids ages 3-11). There will be Scout Camps, youth activities every Tuesday, dances (starting at 14), etc.
Well, Brooks told Papi that he couldn't go to Young Men's until he learned how to tie a tie HIMSELF!!! (this kid is obsessed with clip-ons)
Here is his first attempt:
And this one was two Sundays ago...... we couldn't stop laughing.
Last Sunday Brooks was working so I just told him to wear a clip-on because I wouldn't really know how to CORRECT a badly tied tie. I stink at tying them too. Maybe it's a genetic thing he got from me?
That clip-on-tie Sunday was also particularly special because Bronson passed the sacrament for the first time.
The week before that he was given the Aaronic Priesthood in order for him to do so.
The Priesthood is the Power of God here on earth and to give a part of that to young men is really special. As Brooks (who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood) ordained Bronson to the office of a Deacon in the Priesthood I was a crying basket case. It was a neat moment. Bronson had all the young men that could join the circle in the ordination...there were probably 9 or 10 surrounding my oldest boy.
Anyway, back to younger siblings watching the oldest......well, when he passed* the bread and water around to the congregation he had the eyes of Camden, Emerson, Aleeya, Iris and Royce just LOCKED on him. Every move he made he was watched by them.
And if that continues through the rest of his life, I would be okay with that.
He's a good, good kid.
*Bronson is left-handed and you are supposed to pass the sacrament using your right hand....which anciently has always been the hand symbolizing covenants. Anyway, after the sacrament I asked how he felt and he said it was really neat and he felt like he was doing something really special......but he DID say how tired his right hand got because it's not as strong as his left, so he will have to build up the muscles in that hand a little. :)


5 comments:
That picture of you and your older brother is just so sweet, and I love that you recreated it with K and B. What a bunch of cuties!
I'm very much an oldest child ("bossy" should be my middle name, I'm sure all my siblings would agree), but I always wanted an older brother. (Partly this was because I was so sick and tired of a) being told I needed to be an example for all my younger siblings, and b) so someone else would have to babysit the kids for once. (Seriously, I don't think my parents paid a dime for a babysitter after I turned 12.))
That is the best comparison shot!! I always wanted an older brother and am sooo happy that my girls have two!!
Bronson is a great oldest brother. He's so sweet. I can't believe he is 12.
The pics at the top are so sweet!!!
You and Kellyn look way more alike than I would have thought! Such sweet pictures with those big brothers. And Papi couldn't be any cuter of a kid! Although, maybe he needs a few more tries with the tie ;)
Post a Comment