I love nurses.....I REALLY do. But for sooooooooome reason our school nurses at my kids' school KILL me. I think the school must be SCARED TO DEATH of a lawsuit or something. With 4 kids in the school I have "school nurse" pop up on my phone quite regularly. I'm so grateful to know that Aleeya bonked heads with someone in class, is fine and not crying, but a head trauma report was filed. Or that Emerson had his finger stepped on in PE but now able to use it "to its full fuctionality" (yes, that word was used)........its REALLY over the top and ridiculous.
Anyway, today when the nurse called and I didn't hear it (HEAVEN FORBID I don't have my phone velcro-ed to me while I shower!), they tried calling my husband, and then tried BOTH of my friends here on the emergency contact list. My friends kept calling me until I heard the phone and picked up and said I better QUICKLY call the nurse because something was really wrong. They were quite worried........anyway, I figured I should probably write them an "Emerson update" email today so they could feel peace knowing all turned out okay. Here is the copied email to them:
Anyway, today when the nurse called and I didn't hear it (HEAVEN FORBID I don't have my phone velcro-ed to me while I shower!), they tried calling my husband, and then tried BOTH of my friends here on the emergency contact list. My friends kept calling me until I heard the phone and picked up and said I better QUICKLY call the nurse because something was really wrong. They were quite worried........anyway, I figured I should probably write them an "Emerson update" email today so they could feel peace knowing all turned out okay. Here is the copied email to them:
Since I know you were both SO worried about Emerson and since it WAS infact an emergency for the nurses to call BOTH of my friends about it I mind as well let you know what happened. He was playing in recess. Fell down after bonking into a friend. When he got up to step his foot "didn't work". Funny how that is, because then his drop-dead-gorgeous teacher had to CARRY him into the nurses station where he got special treatment in a wheelchair. Since the injury was obviously in his foot, I'm RELIEVED to know that they took his temperature, checked his circulation, vision and looked in his mouth for no "abnormalities". Phew. Good to know.
It REALLY concerned the nurse that he just couldn't put "full bearing of his weight" on his right foot though, so OBVIOUSLY I had to come pick him up because he couldn't go to class (or limp for the rest of the day?......I digress). Granted there was .5% of me that was worried that something may have indeed happened, but knowing Emerson I assumed the 99.5% of me was right. The nurse handed the phone to Emerson and I talked with him. He was fine, and I knew it by how he was smiling our whole conversation. But I STILL had to pick him up because he "couldn't get to class".
I woke up Kellyn from her nap and dressed the kids to make ourselves presentable. (I love walking through the school with 3 kids) I walked in the nurses place and there was my Emerson, big smile on his face and all......sitting in a wheelchair. I went over to examine his foot and I didn't feel any breaks. Not that I'm an expert, but his foot wasn't in the opposite direction or anything. I tried to get him to move it and of COURSE he couldn't. Then I asked him to put his shoe and sock back on so we could go and his foot didn't have ANY problem wiggling around in the shoe to get his foot in. Mmm-Hmm.
The nurse wheeled him out to the Yeti in the wheelchair. (seriously, ALL I could think of was how I get wheeled around only after I've given birth and done something to that degree.........this kid smiles and says he can't walk and gets the treatment)
I told him coming home and in order to "rest his foot" he would be in bed all day. (The kids know that's what happens when you go to the nurse and need to be picked up.....because if its legit, they really SHOULD be laying down all day. Camden one day had a "belly ache" conveniently before a test....and when the nurse suggested to call his mom, Camden just told the nurse, "Nevermind, I'm starting to feel better, I would rather go back to class." Wise boy, wise boy.......but I did in fact get a call from the nurse telling me that he HAD a belly ache but already went back to class because he felt better.) We get home and I fed Emerson lunch. He hopped into the house and around it on one foot. Then I told him Royce might be upstairs playing with his Star Wars Lego guy and he ran upstairs to stop him........we're talking with BOTH feet.............just fine.
Seriously, that child. But yes, he WILL stay in bed for the rest of the day anyway. I'm not gonna want him to pull this on me again. Hopefully it's miserable for him.
The ONLY thing that brings me comfort and a smile to my face is that Dasher (the elf at our house) actually painted the kids' toenails last night while they were sleeping. So when the nurse pulled off his sock and shoe she saw his toenails. I just know Emerson was mortified.

5 comments:
Stop it! Youre killing me! Bahahahahaha.
This is awesome!! I love that nurse calls you for EVERYTHING, but I REALLY love Emerson running upstairs to save his lego man :)
This is the best! You really need to write a book!
Ha ha ha...too funny. Seriously though, I would have been most irked about waking up kids and bringing three of them to the school! Yeah, no fun.
Jajajaj I would've loved to see the look on the nurse's face when she saw Emerson's pretty toenails. And I'm sure he's foot was just fine the rest of the day, huh?
Post a Comment