Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I guess Christmas is Here!

Since Thanksgiving was so late this year it's like we wanted to HURRY and decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving to give the Christmas month justice!

When I was little we always had sugar cookies on our Christmas tree. In my child's eye, I think it added to the magical/tasty/colorful/perfect Christmas ideal. It's one thing I knew I always wanted to do for my kids.
I halved the sugar cookie log (I seriously can NOT make homemade good ones) and made 1/2 of them tasty and baked them....

Then the other half I called Iris, Royce and Aleeya in the kitchen and had them WATCH me add jalapeno juice  and chili powder to the dough. They smelled it and agreed it would be yucky. But they REALLY smelled like jalapenos....which isn't really a Christmas smell in my book, so I loaded it with straight cinnamon too and it made them turn brown........almost gingerbread looking......and baked them. These would be for the tree.
 I kept emphasizing to the younger ones that they are YUCKY and they wouldn't want to eat them. (It makes me wonder how my mom kept us off the cookies.......then again, I remember taking many bites of them)

I love that when Royce concentrates his bottom lip comes out. He put eyes on the hands and feet. So cute.
 Bronson's was pretty clever with his mohawk.
 All the ones for the tree.....

Then we decorated the yummy ones and ate all of them.
Later that night the girls and I started threading the popcorn and cranberries. Once again, a look I just love. I HATED doing the work though. This year the girls wanted in on it and helped. Those two just talked my ear off and giggled while we made the strands. It's probably a tradition I will look forward to next year just sitting there listening to them. 
The boys heard all the fun and towards the end all asked to help to......the strand was our longest yet!

A magical/child/colorful Christmas tree. I love seeing my kids just stare at it. One of my favorite parts is the tree skirt that my Nana handmade and sewed so many little beads on.
 When Brooks got home from work at 10:30 he saw it and said, "It's perfect.........for our family." I asked him what that meant and he said, "It just matches our family. It would look REALLY out of place if we had some designer looking Christmas tree in our home." I guess he's right.

Moravian Stars are my absolute favorites. 
Brings back such wonderful memories of Winston Salem......plus, I don't think there's a prettier star shape out there.....and well, with the Christmas story you NEED a star!!!!
We put our bigger Moravian star out on the porch too!!! 

Speaking of Christmas ornaments I had seen a deal (on artscow.com) last month on Christmas ornaments. Pat had made me a Family Home Evening chart 10 years ago and the wooden hearts on it were wearing out.....plus we didn't have enough. Considering we use it every Monday night, I was trying to think of something to use instead. The Christmas ornaments turned out perfect!
 (Yes, Royce and Kellyn are, I guess on "stand by" ?.....)

They turned out better quality and clearer pictures then I thought!


With Christmas all decorated for, stockings up, nativity sets out, advent calendar in full force with an Elf watching our every move I feel like we're officially ready for December.
I didn't think I would be healthy (with this pregnancy and all) at this time of year so back in September I got all the Christmas shopping done. (And Christmas cards done.........so if you see our family picture in an OBVIOUS summer-looking picture, you'll know why...) So really, this month is all about soaking in all memories and peaceful moments we can. Oh wait, Kellyn doesn't have a stocking yet.  I guess I have to make that and one for the baby for next year (I've been waiting to find out the gender to pick a design!!!)

And if you're wondering if the cookie-chili powder trick worked............ well
IT DID!!!!!!!
Royce tried sneaking a bite one day and then started crying shortly after spitting it out. 
Mommy- 1, Royce-0


9 comments:

Miles said...

Thanks for sharing some of your family's traditions. Im always curious how other families celebrate. I know your kids are having a magical season. You are so on top of things. Im glad youre not completely , totally miserable with the new wee one on its way!

Robyn said...

LOVE all the fun bright cookies!!!! SO impressed that you were ready for Christmas back in Sept.!
Enjoy the holiday!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

The tree looks fantastic! Love your curtains by the way too. That is so awesome that you got all of your Christmas shopping/cards done a few months ago!

gloverfamily said...

THose ornaments look awesome! (the pics and the cookies...)

The chili powder idea is hilarious.

Ty & Andi said...

I LOVE your curtains too ;). And I think the ornaments for FHE chart is genius...you need to forward me the next deal you see for them.
AND--we went to the lights last night, but everyone kept talking about how much MORE fun it was with the Smiths, except Coleson didn't remember it, maybe because he was 3!! (3 years ago?!?)...

Adriana said...

I love how the ornaments turned out! I got ornaments done as a gift for everyone this year. I loved it. I also love the Moravian star on top of your tree. I agree, nothing looks better than your Moravian star on top of your tree, it's beautiful! We love love love sugar cookies but I suck at baking them!! They never turn out good! I'm sitting here staring at your sugar cookies (the yummy ones) and can't stop drooling! Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas and hope the boys don't remember and try to pull Home Alone pranks this year! ;)

Babelicious said...

GREAT idea on the Family Home Evening ornaments. They are perfect!! I love that idea. Isn't it funny how we tend to do what our mom's did. My mom has a Santa tree upstairs and a fun kids tree downstairs, so I do the same. I love passing on the memories. I do have to say that my aunt always put popcorn on her tree. I had to help her string it one year and I remember thinking I would NEVER do that again and I haven't. It would be a fun time with the kids though, so I may have to take my NEVER back!! Also, I love the Moravian stars!! Merry Christmas.

amandaruth said...

It's good to see your family...from the internet, and now you're on our fridge as well! Congrats on the pregnancy! As always, look like your family is doing well!

Linsey said...

I love that you "spice up" the cookies to go on the tree to protect them as ornaments! That is such a cute tradition and I love your tree!! It makes me happy looking at it, because it is a great family tree that the kids can be excited about and love. Your FHE ornaments are really cute and I like the idea of using those instead of name tags. I love you and Pat's Moravian stars! They look so bright and festive. And I think it's great that you did your Christmas shopping already. I made it my goal to finish up all the Christmas shopping and preparations early this year, so I can be home and relax instead of running around. It feels great to be done (almost). I bet it's nice to be done, but feeling good! We can't wait for a gender update?!