Last month (pre-baby) I must've been having a meaner-mommy moment with Aleeya with something like making her clean her room or clean up her plate or something else torturous like that. Because she calmly walked up to me and stated,
"You're not my real Mommy."
then she continued
"You're really Ursula dressed UP like my Mommy. Because my mom is really nice."
She got me thinking............with her and Iris wanting to be mermaids for Halloween since....well.....oh.....NOVEMBER 1ST OF LAST YEAR, I figured I mind as well just
GO AS "MYSELF" this year then, right?
I love dressing up, but I won't spend money on a costume for me. So it had to be something I had around.
I had a black dress (used for costume things anyway), so I spray painted her gray skin part (because we all know I couldn't REALLY go in the dress she wears in the movie to a CHURCH THING!), threw on a "George Washington" wig that we had and bobby-pinned it so it didn't have the mullet-ponytail, and cut the bottom into 8 legs. (I sewed wire hangers in them). Super (NOT) crafty or skilled, but it definitely did the job. My girls favorite part was me going around singing "Poor Unfortunate Soul" with all the actions.
But my FAVORITE part? my little mermaids.......however, Kellyn wasn't too thrilled delaying her nap to be dressed up.
Our neighbor gave us a bunch of all costumes and some had sparkly dresses, so I cut them up and made a tube skirt and sewed on sparkley triangles for fins. Seriously, a NO BRAINER. But the girls were THRILLED!!!!! And I'm thrilled because I bought some gymnastics leotards for the white top and sewed on the seashells ever so lightly so I can rip them off after Halloween and we have new leotards! YAY.
I can't get over the cute little seashells though. My girls were sooooooo thrilled to be mermaids.
Here's a better shot of them while I'm making them sit and wait for me to feed Kellyn in the church parking lot.
Obviously I couldn't get more of the family "on board" with a Mermaid thing (nor did I try) because they already knew what they wanted to be. But as I sat there and watched this cute Lightning McQueen dance around in the church, it dawned on me..........
I TOTALLY could've made him be King Tritan!!! He's too young to care and it was just one more mermaid tail to sew. He could've gone topless (he would've LOVED that), had his glow-in-the-dark pitchfork thing, and thrown on a Santa beard. Drat, I totally missed that one.
But really, how many people actually get to go as their alter-ego to any public event?!?!?
Just me, I suppose............Mommy Ursula.





8 comments:
Genius! I love it! The looks on your girls' faces (minus K) are priceless. I can just tell how excited they were with their adorable costumes. How'd you feed K in your dress?! You make a too pretty and skinny Ursula but totally rocked it. You're such a fun mom!
hehehehe... awesome! And I agree with Miles, you are too skinny to be Ursula... shoulda stuffed some pillows under there =)
So cute! I love your tentacles, and how absolutely thrilled your girls look!
What are you talking about not being "crafty or skilled"?!? Ursula and the mermaids turned out awesome. I love it!
Oh man, that's a great costume. Grace wanted me to dress up like that a few years ago and then changed her mind. So that year, she was a queen and I was her servant (pretty true to life). I'm glad you got to have fun halloween times! I will be in the hospital I think (they are trying to induce me on tuesday...after I failed to get induced on thursday :( Anyway, I'm missing halloween with the kids and it kinda stinks!
You are awesome. I love the costumes! So fun.
I wish you could teach me how to make costumes, and pinatas, and ...anything!! You are super mom.
You're so creative! I suck at creativity. Your costume was amazing and hilarious! I love the girls' costumes and Kellyn looks hilarious just sleeping on the floor like that for a picture.
Post a Comment