Really, I'm GRATEFUL to the man who went on national television and declared that "Mormonism" (although he clearly doesn't know that my church goes by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) is a cult and that we are NOT Christian.
I know it sounds odd that I might be grateful to him, but as I watched that news clip on my computer my sweet 8 year old was watching it with me. He asked what a cult was and also why we weren't "Christian". It started a GREAT discussion of truth and I felt so peaceful explaining to him the definition of a true Christian. I even found these definitions online for a "Christian":
Chris·tian
[kris-chuh
n] adjective, noun
a person who believes in Jesus Christ;
a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ:
I explained to Bronson that I DO believe in Jesus Christ.

That makes me a "Christian". However, it said it is an adjective and a noun, but I consider it MORE to be a verb. It's an action word. It's in how I want so badly to exemplify him and treat others as He did. I explained to Bronson that we belong to a church that INDEED has his name in the title. This IS His church.

We talked about how the Savior that I believe in cares about each of us. That he KNOWS him and He knows me. He is aware of what we go through and I feel his strength, understanding and friendship with me. No one person could tell me I don't believe in someone in whom I have a personal relationship with.....and it's up to Bronson to develop his own relationship with Him as well.
He knows and understand me so well because of what he did for me and for EVERYONE else too
I know he suffered for my sins, my ill feelings, my grief, my pain, my suffering and my concerns. He knows each of my feelings so intimately because he went through them Himself. I KNOW this.It would be one thing for an evangelical to come out and say my beliefs aren't "Christian" because we don't believe in the Nicean Creed, or that God, the Father is some "immeasurable" being or mass that is one Being with Jesus and the Holy Ghost. That person would be right. However, that is NOT the definition of a "Christian" nor is fair to attack my most treasured relationship.
I am okay with anyone knowing that I don't believe in the document men drew up in 325 A.D. or the one in 381 A.D. for that matter to define my Heavenly Father. One who I know DOES look like my Father and cares for me as a Father would. Jesus Christ is my brother and therefore separate from the Father, as is the Holy Ghost. The Bible and all scripture I believe in testify of that. Not only that, the Holy Ghost has PERSONALLY testified to ME of this truth, and that knowledge is worth more then anything to me.
So to you Robert Jeffress, thank you. Thank you for giving me the chance to once again talk to my children about the One Man who made it possible for me to return and live with my Heavenly Father, even Jesus Christ, who I love with all my heart. To live with Them one day is truly my greatest desire.
If that doesn't make me a Christian by your definition or means I belong to a cult, then so be it, but good luck trying to convince others of that.
1 comment:
What a wonderful opportunity to share your testimony! One of the things that I love about the Gospel is that we can literally turn any circumstance into a chance to teach and testify to each other. Someday, he'll look back on that moment with fondness and gratitude for being able to here his mother's testimony. Thanks for sharing it with us, too.
Post a Comment