per close (minus the hairy armpits, hat and NON-sweated on t-shirt.............hmmm, maybe I WOULD like those calves, and I don't have a watch.....I'm getting side-tracked, back to the issue on hand).This guy is bear crawling. Why you ask? Because he has decided to go through pure torture as I went through yesterday. Torture comes in many forms and most recently I can sum it up into one word.....
CROSSFIT!
Brooks and his workout buddy Tyler have been doing "Crossfit" for a while and saying how it works them and they want to die, etc. When a groupon came around for a 6-week bootcamp I thought that would be fun for Brooks to have a professional coach. So I emailed him the link. Then he emailed me back and said, "Oh yea, you should totally do it." Um.....I wasn't meaning myself. Then I thought and thought about it... and I DO need a kickstart to lose this last stubborn excess baggage (I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older or it's my 6th but this weight is a LOT harder to get off). Long story short, I signed up and yesterday was my first day......................OF TORTURE!!!!!!
It's only a 45 minute thing, so I just kept thinking of my peeps on Biggest Loser and how I could do ANYTHING for 45 minutes. And I did. Including that darn bear crawl for 5 laps until I couldn't hold anything up or walk, only to find out we had to do 50 burpees (see? I know all the lingo now), push-ups and squats all under 5 minutes. It's a timed workout method, and seriously, all I wanted to do was CLOCK OUT! But I had to prove to myself that I could.....wait, who am I kidding? I was just trying NOT to look like the weakest link and not embarrass myself even though I wanted to yell, "I HAVE SIX KIDS AND MY BACK/BELLY AND EVERYWHERE HAVE BEEN BUSTED OUT 6 TIMES!!!!" However, I didn't think that would work, and if you whine you have to do more burpees, so I saved my breath. I literally had sweat going down my face, back, mouth and into my contacts (once again, I didn't whine....gosh, I'm so tough sometimes!), but I DID start feeling I was going to puke. "Great", I thought, now I'll just be "the lady who puked!" I kept thinking of something else and it worked.......well, for then anyway.
Then the torture ended and I just sat there talking to other people.....not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't put one leg in front of the other to walk up the hill. And I STILL had to stop by a store and grab Emerson's-chosen treats for Family Home Evening! I made it to my car only to discover I needed gas, and since the pump at the gas station wasn't working I hobbled inside w/ a BRIGHT red face and just squatted on the floor in front of the cashier (as he looked down at me) to tell him my pump wasn't working. I felt awful and knew I was going to puke, so I bought an apple so at least it would taste better coming up. Got the gas and ran to the store for the treats.....but before I walked in, I had to BOLT around the corner (to where all the employees take their smoke breaks) to hurl up my EIGHTY-NINE cent apple!
I couldn't believe I just puked. I mean I'm not in HORRIBLE shape (my hoopio/hoola-hoop classes should count for somethin' right?) and I'm active enough..... I'm thinking it could POSSIBLY be partly because I shouldn't have eaten potroast/potatoes/carrots for dinner as I was walking out the door to go, what do you think? (Man, I can be such a dunce sometimes). So the next day of torture is tomorrow, and I WAS planning on going. The only thing that would keep me from going would be not being able to move, because if today were any indicator of my movement level of tomorrow, it doesn't look too good.
On the PLUS SIDE, I've been introduced to more muscles today ( that have made their presence known) then ever before! Who knew I had so many!? 1 class of torture down, only 17 more to go.
10 comments:
Your post was great. There is a free CrossFit gym here on base and my friend met me there one morning for a workout. I was so sore for the next three days. It even hurt to have kids sit on my lap! I was going to go back, but since we are moving soon, and it's not likely that I can keep doing CrossFit for the time being, I stopped. I didn't want to go once a week and be in pain for the rest of the week. But I am also being a pansy...I COULD take my kids with me to the gym, but the thought of all of them climbing on the equipment and the management scolding them prevented me from even trying to bring them. Anyway, good luck with CrossFit! My other friend that is really into it looks AMAZING! She said she went down 3 dress sizes in 8 weeks. I am excited to hear how boot camp goes!!!
CrossFit is INTENSE - props to you Melissa, for holding your own!! Before you know it you'll be eating Paleo and part of their touring competition team!
Case loves cross-fit. You'll have to let me know how it goes. My friends who have done it say they got stronger and faster, but they didn't really get smaller. They also say after a week or two it's really fun. Let me know because I still have weeks---ok months-- before my baby comes, but I'm already planning my post-baby strategy!!
yeah for the bear crawl. . . or raccoon crawl. HA. I have been sleeping HORRIBLY lately, so I actually had something to watch while I was awake... LOL, I can't wait to see your ripped muscles after cross fit. You ROCK!
Melissa!
Wow! I am so glad you found me. And can I just say, wow! 6 kids! I mean, I think that is great and I too want 6 (but my husband wants 4, so we'll see), but you are my age! And you allready have 6!! Wholy Cow! How do you do it. I am pregnant with #3 and it is hard being pregnant and chasing around my super energetic 4 and 2 1/2 year old! Seriously you amaze me! Anyway, small world, it's good to reconnect with you!
WOW! I am so impressed! I was cracking up one second then feeling so exhausted for you the next.
BTW, I was inspired by this to put up the m&ms I was eating while reading this post. :)
wow! so jealous. no really I am! I bet you'll love it. I just wish your kids could be the ones coaching you....now that'd make it intersting!
missing you all!
Oh man! Good for you. You will get better and stronger with each training and then you will be rockin' it and feeling hot! Way to go!!! :)
Melissa - This is hilarious! You GO girl! I can't believe you. I would be passing the other 17 classes off to Brooks if I were you (: BTW - You are a very good writer. I could picture the whole things and I was laughing. Love your blog.
WOW. I know, I was SORE as in SORE you cannot move or even THINK about it for the whole first week, GUARANTEED, but it does get better, and that's when I bailed, SILLY ME. No no I just couldn't do Cross and train for the Tri........never enough exercise time. :0
GOOD FOR YOU.
Post a Comment