Monday, July 11, 2011

Vacation Bible School

The boys go to VBS from 9-12 every day this week at a local Baptist church. They had so much fun last year (and it's free!) so I signed them up to do it again. Now before I go into a conversation I had w/ Bronson after VBS today, let me give you a little background..........

Life is NOT "fair" here. The kids don't get equal of everything and sometimes you go to things w/ Mom and/or Dad and sometimes you don't. Sometimes your job might even be more hard then your siblings here and sometimes they might even have more Cheerios in their bowl then you! Or heaven forbid a plate has more strawberries on it then your's but your brother got to pick it because he finished his job first. Example: it drives Brooks absolutely NUTS how after the kids finish a sport they all get a trophy or a medal. That's fine and nice, but he never ceases to mention to the kids how they "don't MEAN anything if you don't earn them". It would be one thing if the medal said, "Highest scorer" (is that even a word?) or "2nd place", etc., but every child gets the same thing no matter if they picked dandelions or actually played soccer. I think it's sweet because it makes the kids happy, but I do want them to know that if you work harder for things you'll get a better result. Life really isn't fair out in the "real world" so we really don't want to do a dis-service to let the kids think it should always be "FAIR".

Okay, with that said (I'm really not a post-my-parenting-opinions on my blog type of a person, but I had to mention the background so Bronson's response might make sense!), Bronson came back and said that he had "played a grape-yard.......I mean a vineyard game with grapes and carrying things back and forth. Then they told us about the parable in the Bible how the master had a few workers and he paid them all the same even though some did more work then the others."
Me- "Okay, so what lesson can you LEARN from that"
Bronson- "........um........well........we learn that not everything is fair. But dad already taught me that."

BWHAHAHAHA! I love it.

Oh, then later Emerson was whining and Bronson said to him, "Emerson, remember, don't show an attitude, show GRATITUDE!" :)

3 comments:

McKenna said...

In Autism-Land we have the saying, "Fair is not treating everyone the same. It's treating everyone the way that they need to be treated." I never thought to use that particular parable, though. I'll have to remember that.
What cute boys.
And your verification word today is buttact...which makes me giggle...because I am super immature ;)

Kim said...

Can I send my girls to your house to see if Brooks can somehow teach the concept of life not being fair better than I can. We seem to consistently get stuck on that over and over and over again.

Babelicious said...

So, technically that parable supports the every kid gets a trophy thing. It doesn't matter how good or bad the team plays, in the end they all get the same reward!