You know what I'm talking about............the Mom ears that helps us hear a wrapper being opened 3 rooms away or tip-toeing feet out of bed or the unbuckling of seatbelts before you're actually in your driveway? Yea, those ears. The sounds most people don't hear, but a mom can.
I was getting ready for bed tonight, brushed my teeth and was ABOUT to say my prayers when I heard one VERY faint sound I've become VERY good at hearing..........a water sound. It's the sound the pipes make when the washer is running, dishwasher running, toilet flushing or an outside hose turned on. I thought it strange considering none of the above applied. It HAD to be the hose. It was raining and thundering outside so I couldn't just step out to listen for it, I actually had to walk out and find the hose. I went in the front yard, nothing. Then I went in the backyard to find the hose nice and wound up next to the house (my personal contribution in keeping the backyard picked up.............well, it back-fired this time).............WITH THE WATER ON! Considering it was 10:30 the house had to have been on for at least 4 hours, RIGHT in the spot where the water kept coming down and flooding our basement last year. Arg.
I went downstairs and found water in the garage area. Just in that corner and along the wall and only extending out 3 or 4 feet. Without wanting to wake Brooks I just grabbed the shop-vac and started sucking up the puddle of water. I did that for about 45 minutes. I couldn't help but think of the tender mercy Heavenly Father had just given me. I immediately felt so much gratitude and peace.....that still fills my chest as I type this. I could've NOT checked the hoses, or just one and found a REEEEEEEEEEEALLY flooded basement/downstairs/garage in the morning. HEAVEN KNOWS it would've been a REALLY bad morning for me to wake up to THAT, because I am NOT a morning person......at. all. (Just ask my mom).
As little as this event might have been I see it as a little loving sign of mercy from above.........a little evidence that someone is watching out for me and cares enough about my sanity to perk up my "Mom Ears" to what could've been a mess. With all that is going on around the world it's pretty overwhelming sometimes to think I have a Father in Heaven who cares enough about me this evening in my safe and now-dry home.
And now that it's past midnight, I think I'll go finish saying my prayers that got interrupted before.............but this time, with a few more things to be thankful for.
2 comments:
OH I LOVE that. Tender mercies indeed. So happy you had your LISTENING "mommy ears" on.
AND.....I changed my header just for you. Not really, but you were RIGHT of course. Emery is there now, and I'm not. PERFECT. ;)
Amen for mom ears! I never understood as a kid how my mom heard EVERYTHING but now I totally do. It's bizarre really how well I hear... too good sometimes which is probably why I have NEVER been able to sleep in the same room with a baby or why I have a terrible time falling asleep now that I'm a mom.
Post a Comment