Friday, November 12, 2010

My husband is a genius

Okay, so maybe not according to HIM, but he came up with this GREAT idea that I thought was genius.

Last year, when I was taking down the Christmas tree, I commented on what a pity it was that the tree was only up for one month when the kids and I love it so much!

And SINCE Brooks was raised NOT to skip Thanksgiving, I didn't want to put the tree up before then. So he came up with THIS idea........
It's our Thanksgiving Tree.

November 1st for Family Home Evening the kids thought of things they were grateful for and we wrote them on some leaves, along with their names on them. Then we hung them on the tree.
I'll have to admit, I can't walk past that tree w/o remembering HOW many things we have and what REALLY matters to my kids (some of those things are pretty funny).

My friend Page over at Vibrant Vinyl did the words on top, "Because I have been given much" and I LOVE how it turned out. I taught that song in Primary this month so it's always being sung around this house.....and it just seemed to fit to go on top of this tree.

AND as an added bonus, now all I have to do is take off the leaves and have the kids put on the Christmas decorations.....after Thanksgiving, of course......since the LAST thing I would've wanted to do a week before my due date is assemble the Christmas tree.

12 comments:

Leah said...

That is genius! Tell Brooks I give him props for that!

Jen said...

What a great idea! I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I may totally steal this from you. The kids have been begging to get the tree out (since July) but I also hate skipping T'giving. I love it.

The Rasmussens said...

Perfect!! I love it!

Kat Clark said...

I will most definitely be adopting this idea next year. I LOVE this! Oh so smart and cute and just perfect.

Melissa, I want you to know that I just really love you. I often think of you when I am having a hard day and not doing the best job as a mommy. I think, "Okay Kat, straighten up, get ahold of yourself, what would Super Mom do?" (Super Mom is you btw) It always helps me shape up. Then there are times when I feel like calling you (but I don't have your number) and asking you for every tiny detail on how to handle my mothering problems. I just think you're amazing and your family is so lucky to have you. I can't wait to see your sixth little Army of Heleman soldier!

Anna said...

Melissa, I'm sure you don't remember me, but we were at Snow at the same time. I always thought you were the nicest, most sincere person. I'm glad to peruse your blog and see that you're still that exemplary person. I wish you and your adorable family all the best.

Jessica said...

Awesome!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Garnerfam said...

LOVE that idea!

Niederfam said...

LOVE that idea........FUN FUN updates........:)

Kim said...

We do this on stars for Christmas, but I like the idea of putting it up for Thanksgiving. Kudos to Brooks.

Seriously, are you really due in a few weeks? How did that come so quickly?

Babelicious said...

The kids do love the trees don't they? We put up a tree and decorate it for Halloween. It's the kids favorite.