I took a lame ol' quiz on Facebook (those darn things are addicting!) that said my hidden talent is painting. So OF COURSE, if Brooks is going to be gone Friday and Saturday, I should let that talent surface right?! Why not start on the most public room, the living room? Makes sense to me.....or it DID at the time. (Keep in mind I've NEVER painted before)
I wanted it to be a surprise. Brooks was leaving at 3:00 in the afternoon. So all morning I taped behind all the furniture so he couldn't see that part of the room, and I washed down the walls. I also was busy making him some snack mix for his softball tournament and cutting up vegetables for a reception. Everything was going to plan because I would get our new DVD player in the mail. The plan was, after Brooks left, finishing taping, start painting and stick the kids in front of the movie. Then make dinner, eat, play, Stick them in bed and finish all the painting since I was babysitting some kids the next morning and had to finish it on Friday night.
Things don't always go according to plan.....at least not with 5 kids.....or 6 with Brooks. Brooks DID leave at 3:00. I DID finish taping, or at least as much as the tape had. The DVD player didn't show up. Nice.
I borrowed a portable one from once again, come-to-the-rescue, Amanda. By this time, all the kids were awake, but hey, I was bound and determined to keep my schedule.
I painted this first wall. Note: yellow is my favorite color, but I'm thinking I should've gotten it a tad lighter. Not sure yet. We'll see when all the things are up on the wall if it'll be a nice homey room that makes you feel happy and welcome or just a room that makes you feel like you need to pee.
The boys were playing downstairs, so I pulled out the paint with Aleeya, because after all, who WOULDN'T want an almost 2-year-old's help? I started. It's not too hard. Not too bad. But I was warned by master-painter, Kim Blackham, to ALWAYS pull the tape off when the paint was still wet. Just then Iris woke up and needed to eat. So I sat down to nurse her and watched my paint dry!!!! I said to myself, "Self, you better hurry, or that blue tape will be a permanent fixture in you living room!" I didn't have a choice. So with Iris latched on (thankfully, she was on the left side) I kept painting, while Aleeya "taped" the other wall for me. I finished my first wall.
The boys were playing downstairs, so I pulled out the paint with Aleeya, because after all, who WOULDN'T want an almost 2-year-old's help? I started. It's not too hard. Not too bad. But I was warned by master-painter, Kim Blackham, to ALWAYS pull the tape off when the paint was still wet. Just then Iris woke up and needed to eat. So I sat down to nurse her and watched my paint dry!!!! I said to myself, "Self, you better hurry, or that blue tape will be a permanent fixture in you living room!" I didn't have a choice. So with Iris latched on (thankfully, she was on the left side) I kept painting, while Aleeya "taped" the other wall for me. I finished my first wall.Just then, the phone rang. It's Brooks telling me he forgot his license! You know, the license that I reminded him 4 times not to forget? Yep, that one. Anyway, he wanted me to quickly scan it for him and email it to him. Our computer got a virus a month ago so after cleaning it all out, the "scan" program isn't on there now! Like I know how to fix it anyway!!!! So I called all my neighbors. No one had a scanner.
Then I called the Richards and Will scanned and emailed the license for me after I loaded up all the half-dressed kids in the car and drove over there. Brooks kept calling to see how things were coming and I just wanted to say, "Don't you know I'm in the middle of the coolest While-You-Were-Out-HGTV project ever?!!?" But I didn't. Will got the email sent.
It's now 7:30 the the kids still haven't eaten, poor things. So what do you make on a day like this?
Corndogs and apples, of course! Eaten on a fun picnic tablecloth on the kitchen floor (since the dining room table is covered with all the pictures from the living room walls and it's raining outside!). The kids loved it. THEN........ I pulled out my plan B at 7:30........
Camden finally got to watch his new movie he got for his b-day. I find this picture funny because Aleeya is actually sitting there as if she would even WATCH a movie for longer then 20 seconds! And true to form, she got up and left right after the picture was taken.Long story short.........if you call THIS short..........I got it all painted, floor scrubbed in there from all the dripped paint and paint put away by midnight.
I accomplished the plan, it just came about in a different way and time table.
But isn't that how are lives are anyway?
I'm STILL wondering on the color though, even if it IS my favorite color. (Not enough to change it though considering we still need to paint the ceiling from the hole we patched) I think I'll get used to it though. I like it in the day light, but not so much at night. Maybe it'll be better when the pictures are all up on the walls.......that brings me to my next project before Brooks gets home.
10 comments:
Holy ambitious! I would never...and I repeat, NEVER...attempt a paint job with five kids at home, let alone with one who requires my body to feed. You're amazing. Seriously, Brooks better be bowing down to your complete awesomeness.
WOW!! What a day, huh? I can't believe you have the motivation and the energy to do all that. I need what you have!
So, did the tape stick to the walls because the paint was dry, or not? You left us hanging!
That just sounds really stressful to me. I'm glad you seemed to enjoy it all. I am sure your wall turned out beautiful!! You are amazing
I had to smile when you wrote that you were glad that Iris was on the left side. I have done several things one-handed while nursing Elden, as I am positive you have too! Great job on painting the room! That is awesome. Hope your DVD player came!!!
I think yellow is the hardest color to get just right with paint!! I loved the yellow in my kitchen at my other house, but I did a yellow bathroom once and it had to go. I also did yellow and pink walls in the girls room and it was waaayyy too bright. I always try to do those projects when Case isn't around too. It seems to give me just the motivation I need to hurry up and get it done!
You're awesome, Melissa! I'm sorry I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to come over as soon as I get home. From the pictures it looks great!
Though I am no texter myself, I believe "ROLF" stands for "Rolling on the floor, laughing".
Don't be surprised. I could be funny enough to make her do that!...maybe?
YOu ambitious girl, you! I love how much fun you have with your kids....the corn dog men are the best!
Mellisa, I absolutely love reading your blog! You are so much fun! I love the color in your livng room and I have seen it in real life!
Post a Comment