Saturday, January 17, 2009

Impetigo

No, it's not a new mean nickname or anything....it's what THIS is called!

I actually found him "shaving" with soapy water and Aleeya's toothbrush (that is now in the trash confiscated by the National Nuclear Patrol). He was trying to clean off his chin.....bless his heart. It started with him licking his lips and getting them too chappy and something crept in the opening/crack----- IMPETIGO. (sounds like a character on Princess Bride, I know). I started out reddish, then bumpy red (picture above taken after the "shave"), then yesterday when my boy came home from school with yellow crusty/scabby things all over them (with Cheeto residue on top), I looked at Brooks and said, "MAKE IT GO AWAY!" Especially because he blesses it during our food prayers and it makes me lose my appetite. Come to find out, it's SUPER contagous at this stage but we've started putting the antibiotics on it.........seriously, I can handle ANY poop, but rubbing this on, is a test of true love for her child. Thanks to having a dermatologist (Hinckley), in our ward we've got it under control in plenty of time for his b-day next week!!!! (Oh, and thankfully it doesn't seem to itch or bother him either!!! Poor kid!)

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ugh! I had impetigo as a kid and it's not fun!! Poor guy. But don't worry--I'd totally lose my appetite too, and ban him from praying until he gets over it! LOL!!

Niederfam said...

oh no, I'm glad it's on it's way to healing, i wish you BOTH a speedy recovery!!! oh and was the "tag" for me??????

carlyn said...

my brother use to keep impetigo when we were growing up. come to find out, his nose has was cultured with staph, so every time he picked his nose and then picked at scab it was back!!