Wynn and Iley's baby blessing was going to be the first Sunday in August when Camden received the Priesthood. My parents were going to drive out for both of the events. When they were a day's journey into their trip there were a few signs that something was up with Dad's health. They stopped at the Urgent Care in Wyoming and decided to turn around and go home. We were disappointed and so were they!!!
That Friday Dad went into the hospital for some final test results from his blood being drawn.
Dad was diagnosed with AML (acute myeloid leukemia). And this is him in the hospital after receiving the news.

My dad (and mom) was so strong. Even after getting the "you have weeks to live" talk, I still couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing about. They had many family get-togethers, went to a lake, Pickleville Playhouse, still played the piano in Primary for his calling at church, etc.
I also KNEW I needed to get back there. Which is hard with 10 kids, a husband in training and two of the kids being nursing infants. School started that week too. Thankfully my mother-in-law came to the rescue and came out to watch the kids while Brooks, the twins and I flew back to Utah. She's kinda one of those ladies that can do anything. And even babysat everyone so Brooks and I could sneak away to the temple and out for a treat after too.
We left for the airport at 5am with the twins. This kinda shows our emotions for getting on the plane with the girlies....
THANKFULLY and MIRACULOUSLY we were each given our own benches (not allowed to sit by each other due to lack of oxygen masks) and the twins basically slept the whole three hour flight.
Once we drove up to my parents house it started the 4 days of the twinsy being spoiled and never put down.
Wynn's face in here cracked me up.
I was SO glad and relieved to see my Dad. There's just something comforting about laying my head on his shoulder. There always has been.
Aaaaaaand there were also so not so flattering pictures taken too.
Actually this is my last picture with my parents and me together. What a treasure.
I was so excited to show off introduce my babies to my dad. I think they liked him.
It was so perfect and calming to just sit outside in the SOFT grass (only Utah has that grass) and visit with dad. We recorded stories from his life and I was also able to ask Dad a lot of my questions about what he thinks about, is going through, what he will be doing after he dies. Basically to hear of the peace and gratitude he was feeling. I will treasure that hour I had outside with him because during our visit he was upstairs resting a lot.
In the meantime, Brooks had two little nieces who never wanted to leave his side.
He's such a good sport and loves those girls. But his face I caught here made me laugh.
The girls were passed around from cousin to cousin and I just love these pictures.
(Wynn has the purple binki and iley has the pink)
Uncle Jim had a particular magic touch with them and even kept her asleep while talking to my brother Chris.
No doubt about it, they remember their Aunt Wa. (iley)
Not only was it THEIR first time meeing Uncle Keith (my "injun" brother) but it was my first time meeing his wife Regina.....who ALSO had a sleeping touch with the girls.
Although this boys aren't twins, it still looks like cousins-double-twin sets. Talk about the most comfortable arms ever!
Sunday was the day we were planning on blessing the babies. It was my greatest hope to have Dad there. But even MORE I told Brooks the week before that all I wanted was ONE more Father's Blessing from my Dad and to feel his hands on my shoulders and head one more time. Sunday morning I got that chance. He had a huge turn for the bad that morning and was in a lot of pain. He couldn't raise his hands up to my head so I sat on the floor while he sat on the side of the bed.
Before he gave the blessing he talked about faith with me while his large and ecompassing hands were on my shoulders.....just like I wanted.
The blessing was beautiful and OH SO comforting. I knew it would be the last one he would give me and I just treasured every one of his words. Sunday he really needed to rest a lot and wasn't able to make it to church that day....but he still got ready for the Sabbath Day.
Later during the day the menfolk went upstairs to all give Dad a blessing.
It was a very emotional time for us all....but a treasure.
Lizzie and Emma were so sweet to take care of their cousins while all the adults were upstairs during that sacred time.
It was time to get these girls ready for their blessings. I wish I could turn this picture, but it STILL is one of my favorite pictures of my skinny chickens. (Wynn on the right)
I felt like the whole visit was a cry/laugh fest. But this sweet moment was so special.
Dad didn't have the strength to stand in the circle but he did make it down the stairs for the event.
Wynn Mary's blessing was first since she is oldest. In the circle for both of the blessings was Brooks, RA, Uncle Keith, Uncle Rhett, Uncle Matt, Uncle Jim, Uncle Patrick and Bishop Hadfield
Iley May started getting a tad fussy during her blessing. Maybe that's why Brooks a few times referred to her as "it". I don't know. ;)
He also had to re-do the first part of the blessing for forgetting to word it correctly at the beginning. It was the shortest (2nd) blessing ever. Reminded me of Dad's food prayers around the table growing up.....
Afterward Dad took the time to bear his last testimony to the whole family. He had a hard time formulating sentences but what he DID keep stressing was that "Jesus Christ is the key to happiness". I will never forget it.
Then Dad was helped outside for endless pictures. He was such a good sport.
Here are the kids with their spouses/girlfriends and the like.
Mom and Dad with all 8 of their kids (in order of age)
Last picture with all of us together.
Grams and Grampy with all their grandkids minus 10 (8 of them missing being my kids)
Miss Wynn and Miss Iley with their grandpas on their big day.
I wanted a picture of them with Grams and Grampy too but Wynn didn't want to cooperate for Grampy.
Lots of pictures with cousins to go along with all the food we were eating.......while I went around and drank out of everyone's cups. Because that's what I do.
Alexandra and Iley
Aunt Mindi, Me and my niece Ethany
My sisters were probably tired of me taking pictures of them with my girls. But I couldn't stop. It made my heart so happy to share my girls with two of my favorite girls on earth.
You know, this whole twin-mom thing would be a LOT easier if my sisters could just come live with me......
Mom with her (blotchy faced) girls
Liberty and Abby with Iley
The girls with Grams. I just love this picture
The next day was Monday.....and everyone had gone. Brooks helped with stuff around the house and I would sneak upstairs to catch Dad during his brief awake times to chat. We chatted about his favorite scripture, advice on how to raise a large family, stories from his past with lessons on forgiveness and sometimes I would just sit by him. Nothing like trying to sleep with someone just sitting and watching you right?
I was able to help clean some bathrooms too.....between times of doing THIS..... buttons popping and all!
Is amazing how much you CAN'T get done with these two angels around.
It's kinda hard to stop staring at them though.....even when one of them IS losing it.
iley sat there with this look on her face while Wynn was crying. Not sure she was very sympathetic to Wynn's issues.
Tuesday morning Dad woke up feeling better then he had in days. He was even able to come down the stairs and join us around the table while we ate breakfast and tried to get him to eat something.
I knew it was my last few moments with Dad. My heart was kinda breaking.
The last hug took me everything I had not to just lose it. I love that man so much.
My last earthly memory of Dad was as Brooks and I were pulling out of their driveway and we saw Mom and Dad standing in the doorway smiling and waving.
Possibly my favorite memory of all.
Brooks let me just let it all out on the way to the airport......and thankfully didn't make any comments on the sounds I was making.
The flight home was great with the babies, except the last 20 minutes with Brooks and iley. She was hungry and 6 rows back with Brooks and none of us could stand up out of our seats in the decent. Wynn just sat on my lap content having just eaten herself. #payback
What a beautiful trip. I was so grateful to have taken it, especially that Brooks could come and help me emotionally and with the babies. All that is thanks to Pat for flying out to help with the rest of the crew.











































3 comments:
So glad you were able to see your dad one more time. It certainly won't be the last - he will have an impact on you and your family forever. It is a blessing!
These pictures are so precious. Your family looks so sweet. So glad you were able to go see your Dad, to get to talk with him and that your Brooks was right by your side being your rock.
I cried as I read this at 3 in the morning. I'm so glad you had some last special moments with him!
Post a Comment