Friday, June 19, 2015

no. No. NO!!!!

When Brooks started his second residency I made him promise that when he finished it we would fly the WHOLE family back to Utah and see both of our families. We haven't done that since I was pregnant with Aleeya......meaning most of the family has not even MET half of my kids.

There's a lot to plan but mostly my concern has been our CONDITION and my peace of mind when we get there. 
So I made some personal goals/rules of things that I will NOT allow and will NOT happen before we go. 

The first one being......  Kellyn WILL still be in diapers. 
I have always potty-trained right around their 2nd birthday but since her's was in October (and I don't potty-train in winter) I thought I would wait until spring. Then spring came and I thought of the trip and the LAST thing I want when I'm socializing with my family is to hear, "Mommy PEE PEE" and have to drop everything and b-line it for the bathroom. Let ALONE worrying about peeing all over the airplane/airport, and everyone's carpeted homes. But within the last month she keeps taking off her diaper and running to the jon and pees in the toilet.
She loves it because all her siblings cheer and dance for her. Great. just great.
Then when we she has a diaper on and says she has to pee I beg, "Kellyn Just PLEASE go in your diaper". "No, pee pee seat", then she runs off.
This is NOT happening.
AHHHH!
She even POOPS in the potty by herself. Hasn't had an accident in two weeks of her running around without a diaper on. 
Despite all my begging just to pee in her diaper, I think I've failed this one. And I even bought a ton of diapers and had them shipped to my MIL's house waiting for all her diaper-ness!!! Arg. I think I will still make her wear them though. #horriblemom

(ALWAYS wears the floaties)

Another big fat NO is scissors. Mostly because my family is getting pictures done. I'm been kinda paranoid. (My family hasn't had the whole family together is in 15+ years). 
You see EVERYTIME before a family picture something happens.....usually involving scissors.

Mullet #1 in 2010:


Mullet #2 before family pictures:


I don't even have a picture of Kellyn's from last year before our family pictures.

I have literally tried to hide every pair of scissors for the past month and it's exhausting with always-wanting-to-craft girls!

Then you have the let's-skid-my-face-on-the-driveway-before-family-pictures move:


But it's not only THAT...... now I have to be concerned about bees and stings!!! NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO GET STUNG OR HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH POISON IVY BEFORE WE FLY BACK.
DO YOU HEAR ME?!?!?!?

This is actually Iris when she woke up this morning after being stung on her nose by a yellow jacket yesterday.

Mom, wouldn't you just LOVE that face in our family picture?!?!?! 
If I painted it blue it kinda resembles......


But I digress.......

Then Iris came to me and said that her front tooth is just a LIIIIIIITTLE wiggly and how she's gonna keep wiggling it until it pops out.

no. No. NO!!!!!!

PLEASE KEEP YOUR BEAUTIFUL AND STRAIGHT BABY TEETH IN YOUR MOUTH FOR JUST A FEW MORE WEEKS!
I'm begging. I'm desperate and getting close to putting one of the boys' football mouthguards in her mouth to keep her from touching it.

Is it too much to ask to just NOT have a potty-training toddler, no mullets, tooth-full smiles and no abnormal swelling because of ridiculous insects?!?!?!?!

For my family, it probably is.



4 comments:

Miles said...

No amount of insect allergies or mullets could make a Smith family picture look anything but beautiful. As for the potty training, i'm with ya. Diapers are so convenient! A run to the bathroom every 15 minutes gets old real quick. Duct tape that diaper on! How exciting to go home and see everyone!

noni said...

I just love reading your blog. I feel as if I know everyone and just love them.

hughesfamily said...

I noticed my mom commented above. We seriously talk about you and your kids at family gatherings, like they are our cousins. "Did you see that baseball post? They did great!" "Aleeya's outfits were cracking me up! I loved the one with the zebra shoes." "Her kids have the best smiles." Etc, etc, etc... It's hilarious and only slightly stalker-ish.

I love this post, as I love all of your posts. I haven't commented in a while bc I am nornally nursing levi and he is heavy and it's too hard to type with one hand. But, I am always commenting in my head.

Brooks is finished!!!!!!!!! How wonderful!!!!!!!! I bet you never thought this day would come! That is so exciting! And i love Camden as the measuring stick.

Aleeya'a outfits. Probably one of my favorite posts. She is so funny and creative. And I LOVE how she is glowing in the pictures. She just radiates pride and self assurance and happiness. I love that you let her dress herself, and I know she is the envy of all of the other kids who have to wear the boring stuff their moms choose. Lily dresses herself every day, and I get some looks, but I just do not see why that is a battle I would fight. You are my mom hero, so I feel validated that you are the same way.

I am so happy for you that you get to go to Utah! I can't wait for that blog post!!!

gloverfamily said...

To add to Nicole's comments, she also refers to you when making a parenting decision like potty training or sleeping. "Well, Melissa Smith says..." You are like the Holy Grail.


Have so much fun in Utah!