Friday, May 8, 2015

A Treasure

I recently received a treasured picture to me.

You see, Brooks is the head coach of Camden and Emerson's minor league baseball team this spring (don't ask about their record). He FINALLY has a schedule that he is able to do that and he really has been so excited to do this for YEARS!!!!! We actually never order the overpriced sports pictures, but I guess the coaches get a free 5x7.

Here it is:


Did you notice anything unusal about this picture?

Yea, I know, Brooks, nor Camden NOR Emerson are even in the picture.
So why is it a visual treasure for me that I plan on keeping forever?

Because of what it stands for.
Commitment. Obedience. Priorites.

This picture is from Opening Day of the season (hence the pants that are still white). Opening day in this league is a HUGE deal. There's games being played because EVERY team plays that day, free things being handed out, booths set up, balloons, team pictures, etc. 
The boys were all looking forward to it since it was on a Saturday last March. Well, a huge rain storm came the Friday before and was supposed to continue that Saturday of Opening Day (which it did), so all the games were moved to Sunday.

I was touched that when the boys heard the games were moved that they just had comments like, "Guess we can't go",  "Too bad", "I don't think they can win without me, but they'll have to try" (Camden said that of course), etc. 
They. just. knew.

I find no fault in other people who participated in those games that day because they haven't made the covenants and promises my boys (and husband) made when they were baptized: to keep His commandments (including keeping the Sabbath Day holy), and always strive to live righteously to keep the Spirit with them.  

So when I look at this picture for many years to come, I will get teary-eyed (as I am now) knowing I'm pretty lucky to be married to a man and have awesome sons that try to put Heavenly Father first and that are PRACTICING being obedient to the commandments so when harder things are asked of them later in life that they will have the habit and the spirit of obedience already in practice. That's the best gift a mom could ask for.


Oh, and if you were wondering...... they lost by 2. When Camden heard that he said, "They would've won if I were there."
Aaaaaaaaaand, guess we need to start working on humilty next.........

2 comments:

AnnMarie said...

This is so wonderful. ^_^

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I didn't know where you were going with this and at first I thought...ummm, they gave you the wrong picture? Ha ha. What a great example you guys are to each other and to people at church! I am saddened when I hear of youth in my ward participating in recreational activities on Sunday. The raft race looked awesome!!!