Wednesday, October 15, 2014

There's a First for Everything

In September we did something we have never ever done before.......
hire a photographer for family pictures!!!!

It's always been a time-your-phone and we'll-take-two-pics-and-hopefully-one-will-work type of thing for us. Brooks wanted a family pic to blow up big on our wall and so obviously Brooks' phone camera wouldn't cut it. Plus, he gave me this for our anniversary.

Let me explain, I LOVE family pictures....but they seem to get out-of-date so fast!! And then they are missing like two of my kids before I know it! Anyway, this was kinda a treat for me so I immediately started thinking of outfits to coordinate and what colors....and I was seriously losing sleep. I'm not good at those types of things. I told Brooks I narrowed it down to a gray-blue-green-white coordinating outfits and he said, "Please don't tell me we are going to match!"

"Match?!? No way, COORDINATE is more like it!"

Then he told me I could do whatever I wanted but wouldn't it be kinda weird to see my family all matchy-matchy? And how when we look back on this picture we won't really SEE how the kids were in their clean/hand-picked clothes. Then he reminded me of the TEARS before our last family picture when I got us "coordinating" with moans of "I'm so UGLY!", "This is the worst outfit ever". 
He had a point.

He suggested that we just tell the kids we are having a family picture that we want to put up on our wall and they could wear whatever they wanted.
As SOON as he mentioned that it was like I felt FREE! It was SO perfect. So US!!!!! And so stress-free. It really made it more enjoyable for everyone. (and lucky me, I got to dress Kellyn and Everly in whatever I wanted!!!)
So yes, we let them pick what they wore.....and it definitely is ..... them.

My two favorite outfits had to have been Aleeya's and Royce's. 
Aleeya picked her mermaid (WITH FINS!!!!) sequin skirt......that apparently is see-through (which we didn't know until after the pics came back. Lovely.) She just thought she was so pretty!


And Roycey's boots. He wears his spiderman rain boots literally every day. They will forever symbolize Royce at this age for me.


We had the pictures done on a too-overcast day (our photographer , Kayla did wonders to lighten everything up) in downtown Greenville. Literally RIGHT in the middle of down there is a waterfall and this park area with all these trails. Brooks and I walk down there for our dates a lot and this place seemed perfect for my family because it will remind us of Greenville.

Kayla got some really cute ones of the girls alone, boys alone and then with us as parents. 


THE BOOTS!!!!!! I just love Royce in them so much!!!!

CLEARLY Brooks was making them laugh in this picture..... (cue the see-through skirt once more)

 I got some cute ones of each child but I'm posting a few that just captured another part of their personalities that I just love. 
Gosh, Emerson just has EVERYONE he meets loving him for obvious reasons. He is just so much. Just jammed packed with......Emerson.

 Yes, angel-face DOES in fact, have an extremely mischievous side to him.

Laughing at dad.....

When she sent me the proofs I just couldn't believe how much detail her camera actually picked up!!!  I saw this one and commented on how wonderful the detail was and how it even picked up the "smile wrinkles" (crows-feet) around my eyes!!!!
Then she said, "Oh, I can try to edit them out if you want me to."
To which I said, "DON'T YOU DARE!!!! I'm 33 years old and I worked HARD for those smile-lines!!!! " I actually love smile-wrinkles.

 It was tricky trying to keep the kids focused on the task at hand and not.....you know.....with the DUCKS!!!! (Emerson actually caught one)

Kayla had so many other good ideas on a family picture but by the time 45 minutes passed the kids were........done.......and I mean PUT-A-FORK-THEM!!!! Silly us for suggesting just Oooooooone more picture.
(I wish Kellyn and Iris could be more expressive sometimes you just NEVER know how they are feeling.......)

Then we walked back to the Yeti through downtown.........I'm sure no one noticed my family walking.....or the huge van horribly parked (by Brooks, I might add) and sticking out. (back-right of the picture)

But we survived and I'm SUPER glad we did it.
Now I just have to decide which full-family picture I like the best!!!!!
I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!!

6 comments:

hughesfamily said...

All of the comments I was going to make we're wiped out by the hilariousness of Iris and Kellyn at the end. Love it and love your caption.

Family pictures are so much happiness bang for the buck! These will make you happy forever!

I love that you let them wear what they want, so this will forever celebrate their personalities at the present ages. White and jeans and all of that is not for me, either.

I just love these. You really will have to do a whole collage of them in your house. There is no way to pick just one or even two or three!

Miles said...

beautiful!

AnnMarie said...

So funny you should post about this today, I was just thinking about this exact thing (coordinated family picture outfits) this morning. Of course, at this point it's a moot point for me, but one does think about these things even when one is stubbornly single.

I love all your pictures, and I love that you chose to capture the unique character of each member of your family. I think my favorite, though, is the very last shot of you all walking back to the car. ^_^

gloverfamily said...

So much perfectness. Especially the mermaid skirt

Nikki said...

I love these pictures of all of you!
We miss you Baloo!

Linsey said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!! One of my favorites has to be your new header picture for your blog! It is so cute! These capture the kids perfectly and are so sweet! I love the one of you holding Everly up and looking at each other. That's going to be such a sweet picture/treasure for her. You can just see how much love you have for her! My favorite outfits are definitely Aleeya in her see through mermaid skirt and Royce in his spidey boots!! Great pictures!