Thursday, October 2, 2014

My fuel

You know as a mom or an all-around person when you feel like you are running on empty?
I have been getting the things I need to done (for the most part) but the fulfillment and peace and someone-is-aware-of-me feelings haven't been there are much lately and it's completely my fault for letting me run out of fuel.

Last weekend was a General Women's Conference that was broadcasted to millions of women who watched it. I mentioned to my mom that I didn't realize until after that conference that I wasn't even "running on empty", I was kind of "SITTING on empty".....spiritually speaking.

Here are a few things that stood out to me....

I think that along with "fear, doubt and sing" in the below quote I could've added self pity or selfishness .......or........ yea..... a lot of selfishness.

One of the women speakers, Neill F. Marriott, actually had 11 children. When a picture of her large family was put up on the screen and then she said the below things I immediately got all teary eyed....and probably did one of those ugly cry faces (thankfully I was on the back row so no one could see):

"When our children were young, I felt like the cocaptain, with my husband, David, of a ship, and I pictured our 11 children as a flotilla of little boats bobbing around us in the harbor, preparing to set forth on the sea of the world....
My days were full of forgettable things like folding laundry, reading children’s books, and putting casseroles together for dinner. Sometimes in the harbor of our homes, we can’t see that by the simple, consistent acts—including family prayer, scripture study, and family home evening—great things are brought to pass. But I testify that these very acts carry eternal significance. Great joy comes when those little boats—our children—grow into mighty seafaring vessels filled with gospel light and ready to “embark in the service of God.”9 Our small acts of faith and service are how most of us can continue in God and eventually bring eternal light and glory to our family, our friends, and our associates. You truly carry a circle of influence with you!"


I stay busy with "forgettable" tasks with my little "boats".....some of them little tugboats. But the picture of the beauty of a mighty seafaring vessel shows my greatest desire for them, and putting in my 100% will be worth it. The ONLY way I can is when I forget myself and put Heavenly Father (and his holy scriptures) first though. Then HE reminds me of what I'm doing truly is important and exactly where he wants me.

I just sat in the meeting feeling so aware-of to Someone and my heart was swelling with so much peace and comfort that it was basically SCREAMING to me how much my Heavenly Father loves me. 
During the last talk President Dieter F. Uchtdorf then said these words:
"You are loved.
You are dear to your heavenly parents.
The infinite and eternal Creator of light and life knows you! He is mindful of you.
Yes, God loves you this very day and always.
He is not waiting to love you until you have overcome your weaknesses and bad habits. He loves you today with a full understanding of your struggles... He knows of your remorse for the times you have fallen short or failed. And still He loves you.
And God knows of your successes; though they may seem small to you, He acknowledges and cherishes each one of them. He loves you for extending yourself to others. He loves you for reaching out and helping others bear their heavy burdens—even when you are struggling with your own.
He knows everything about you. He sees you clearly—He knows you as you really are. And He loves you—today and always!"

More beautiful words have never been spoken. 
I try to celebrate some little successes to myself during the day but knowing that He cherishes them as well and is rooting me on, gives me the fuel I need to do even better. BE even better. ACT even better and take more action.
This was the fuel I needed and how beautiful to know that the prophet and 12 apostles and other church leaders will speak again to us this weekend! Seriously, the best weekend of the year is ALWAYS General Conference weekend. (ask Iris, she has been counting down all week saying, "How many more 'schools' until Conference?" "Two more school days, Iris" and then she would start squealing. That's how I feel too........I can't wait.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

It was a beautiful General Women's Conference and General Conference weekend too! I loved that image too of Sister Marriott's family also. Your family is growing almost as large as hers! I love it Baloo!