This happened to be Iris' FIRST year......which meant she just kinda didn't get it and was mostly there for social reasons (as she always is anyway). Like when I pulled out my camera to take a picture she stops dead in her tracks and smiles.

She kinda became mildly obsessed with two things: her friend Kaylee (standing next to her) and the free water.
The PROBLEM is that Kaylee could care less about Iris. Iris was persistent though and would track her down like a cheetah tracks down a gazelle. She would run up to her side and grab Kaylee's hand.....after which Kaylee would grab another girl's hand and run off.
Here Iris is with her tongue out running to catch up to Kaylee. Iris doesn't take "no" for an answer.
In Iris' defense she actually has many MANY friends (since school is about socializing and NOT learning according to her) but she happened to target the playing-hard-to-get one this time.
Aleeya took the race VERY seriously. Partly because she loves to win and she wanted bragging rights to her brothers after school. I DID however get her to take a split second to turn around and smile at me.
She was the first one done with all 35 laps in the 1st grade. No surprise there.

Emerson, Emerson, Emerson......bless his heart.
The "pacing" lap at the first he kept trying to get up in the front and happened to trip. That little white-shirted boy falling down on the left is Emerson.
But he made up for it later to definitely complete his 35 laps AND do more just for fun. He of course did EVERY action to every song playing. If they said gallop, he did. Skip, he did. Anything to make it more silly? He did it.
The little white kid peeking between the two other kids in his class is my kid.
And Camden, who claims he's the fastest 4th grader in his class ("except for Owen Sweet because his legs grew longer then mine last summer") was hard to catch on camera. I think he completed 42 laps and was sprinting the whole way.
He loved showing off Everly to his classmates after.
Between the four kids and their four races we basically spent all morning/afternoon there, so it was a long morning. Worth it.....TOTALLY, after seeing their smiles when they saw me.......but my feet were still sore being on them after having been bit by ONE measly fire ant on my right foot the day before. My foot was throbbing and started to swell. (my body had inflammatory issues)
But speaking of their SCHOOL............... I know everyone has been wondering if I have heard from the school nurse in the first 8 weeks of school. I am HAPPY to report I have only heard from her 2 times this year over some "MAJOR" emergencies.
(I'm SHOCKED.....pretty sure my family is on speed-dial there at the nurse's office)
The third day of school Emerson told his teacher he had a stomach ache and she said to go to the nurse. Emerson then said, "No, my dad said I can't go to the nurse unless I'm bleeding, throwing up or dying." FINALLY we are getting through to them. ;)
So with those rules drilled in their heads here are the 2 encounters with the school nurse.
The third day of school Emerson told his teacher he had a stomach ache and she said to go to the nurse. Emerson then said, "No, my dad said I can't go to the nurse unless I'm bleeding, throwing up or dying." FINALLY we are getting through to them. ;)
So with those rules drilled in their heads here are the 2 encounters with the school nurse.
Here is the voicemail she left the other week.....and I quote.....
"Camden was sent in. He has a scrape on his elbow. About a quarter size scrape. He has good motion, he wasn't crying or upset. I washed it out with cold water and soap and gave him cold compress with a bandaid. Now he is outside playing again, so I think he will be okay."
Phew.....because that was DEFINITELY a near death experience and worth calling during the baby's nap to wake her up with the phone call. Thank you for that. (To be fair and nice, the nurses there take their jobs VEEEEEERY seriously and are VERY thorough)
The next run-in was last week. She called to tell me Aleeya had a bloody nose (she didn't know how she got it. There was no bumping into anything or anyone.....I have a feeling a finger may have been involved.). Aaaaaaaanyway, she called to tell me that Aleeya had a lot of blood.... "about 70 CCs" (WHO REALLY KNOWS HOW MANY CCs is!?!?!) and that they gave her a new pair of clothes to pick and wear home. Of course Aleeya picked the brightest, non-matching thing they had, which happened to be the shortest shorts I've ever seen on my daughter, so that was kinda embarrassing for me, but whatever. Anyway, they had to send her other clothes home since they had all those CCs of blood on them.
This is how I received them....... in a "Hazardous Materials" bag.
Because a Walmart bag would've been too discrete.









2 comments:
The hazardous bag!!!! Cracking up!!! That is crazy.
I love posts like this where you really point out and celebrate your kid's distinct personalities!
And, like always, I love your family and secretly wish my kids were having the same childhood as your kids are.
I hope Iris' friend experiences aren't a sign of things to come in her dating life. That haz mat bag!! Ha ha...your nurses....let's just say they cover their bases and would fair well in case of a lawsuit. Oh and um....I think I need to send you pictures of my feet when I could finally walk again. I would hands down BEAT you in a swollen foot contest!! Oh and I love the picture of Camden with Everly.
Post a Comment