Last weekend was our VERY last weekend before the school year starts!
I love how I have a husband that randomly surprises me with lining up a babysitter and announcing, "Get ready honey, we are going out!"
And out we went.
We went to a Japanese restaurant where they cook the food in front of you.
The last time we had been to a place like this was when we were dating...and the last time we have gone out to eat ANYTHING Oriental-tasting would be during my pregnancy with Bronson. Considering I ended up puking Chinese food up all night you can understand why it's been 12 years.
Anyway, BIG DEAL here (since Brooks loves the stuff)
We were sitting in a station with people who are "regulars". The lady sitting across from me was pregnant and it was her birthday. The Chef-knife-juggling-flame-starting guy asked if she wanted a surprise in her mouth. She smiled and said "oh no, I'm pregnant"
Then he asked if any of us are here for the first time. Brooks and I raised our hands after the guy next to us translated what the question was. You see, our chef guy was REALLY hard to understand....like REALLY.
So he asked Brooks if he wanted to try something and Brooks asked what it was. The chef answered and we didn't understand but Brooks said okay anyway (since he's a good sport). Then chef-man asked " 5 or 10?" The man sitting next to us kept saying "FIVE! FIVE! FIVE!"
So Brooks said five.
Chef-man motioned for Brooks to open his mouth.
(I told him it might not be the best idea since a pregnant lady refused it. Meaning it's either alcohol, mercury-based seafood or....... or.......I couldn't think of what else, but I knew I just wouldn't open my mouth.)
Out came this yellow squirting bottle and in it went to Brooks' mouth.
" Oneeeeeeeeee
Twooooooo
Threeeeeeee
Fourrrrrrr
*pause*
Fiiiiiiiiiiive"
(SLOWEST FIVE SECONDS EVER!)
I watched his face and it started to grimace and his eyes watered, he dropped his jaw to hold more liquid since he was counting so slow. I was just impressed he could hold that much liquid.
He swallowed and said, "WHAT WAS THAT?!?! IT was TERRIBLE!"
By the third time chef-man answered we realized it was Rice Wine.
(Brooks' face kills me)
Actually he called it Japanese Moonshine.
The fact that my husband has never EVER in his life tried anything alcoholic made this all the more funny. His face was dying. He couldn't stop muttering, "That was terrrrrrrrrible! How do people DRINK this?!?! It really is TERRRRIBLE!" and he starts downing the ginger sauce sitting next to him to get the taste out. Lesson learned.
I told him I would be the designated driver.
Thankfully Brooks was able to wake up the next morning after his drinking issues the night before and we headed up to our old neighbor's "mountain house". The kids were so looking forward to the tubing on the river there that they jumped right in.
It was actually too shallow to really tube since the rocks poked out too much, but they didn't care.
While the kids tubed, Brooks disappeared in the garage and came out with a huge net. He was determined to stand in the river ever-so-still and a fish was going to swim right into his net. (I will not disclose how long he stood there but I will say he never caught a fish with that net.)
Ms. Kaye was such a kind hostess to my family.
Ms. Kaye (along with Royce and Iris' help) made a ton of water balloons for a big battle. She was so patient with them. Even though she never had any children all her days of being a school teacher sure helped her with patience!
We probably spent over a hour filling water balloons and of course the battle ends in a few minutes. I was worried she would think "wow, that was a big waste of my time!"
After the water balloon fight (she had never been in one I'm assuming) she said, "That was worth EVERY minute feeling up those balloons!" It's fun having a family large enough that you can have legit teams.
Everly-the-Champ slept the majority of the time we were there. When I walked in her room upstairs she was lying on her back just kicking. As soon as she saw me she gave me this face.
Love. her.
Eating and the water balloon fight were really the only two things that stopped Brooks from trying to catch a fish......he even resorted to using a fishing pole
After the hours we were there, it's pretty sad to report that he never caught a fish.
hahaha
For someone who does NOT like "wasting time" I sure found that funny.
Maybe the alcohol the night before was still messing with his judgement.....
Clearly, the whole day wore my kids out for the drive home.
CLEARLY!!!!











1 comment:
Oh, sweet Everly!! What a doll! Pat told me about Brooks' "drinking" before you posted this and I could not stop laughing! Ok, but seriously, if the pregnant lady turned it down?!?! Looked like a fun weekend to kick-off school starting!
Post a Comment