Back in December my husband said he is going to make it happen that I fly home to Utah BY MYSELF. (He's the best). Why now? Well, there were two reasons, the first being that my sister was going to be sealed to her husband in the temple, and my parents had just gotten home from their 2 year mission and it obviously would be great to see them.
So off I went ........by myself.
Did I mention no one came with me?
My awesome sis picked me up from the airport and the next morning I drove the hour to get to my parent's home. The best part? They had NO idea I was flying to Utah, let alone show up on their doorstep!!!
So there I was....on their doorstep....with camera in hand ready for them to open the door.........
and it took forever.
I HEARD voices so I knew they were home!!!!
Then it opened and look how cute and surprised my dad was!!!!
And there is my mom at the top of the stairs poking her head out her bedroom door.
(I guess the reason they took so long was because they were deciding which one was MORE presentable to answer this mysterious knock on their front door. haha)
This picture just is so.......dad.
I wanted to get my bag from the car but he insisted he get it. I told him I was fine and started out and he stopped me. You have to understand, my dad NEVER let us walk on the snow on the sidewalk/driveway before he got to shovel it because it packed it down making it more hard to shovel. In order for dad to GET my bag, he had to shovel a path to the car.
Mom and I were more then happy to stay inside and make up a salad.....let me re-phrase that.....I was more then happy to stay inside and watch MOM make up a salad. Have I ever mentioned my mom makes the best salads? For reals. No one beats this Brazilian salad I love so much.
I even got to see my little brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why all the exclamation points? Well, because I haven't seen this rascal in 6.5 years!!!! Crazy, I know. I was number 7 in my family and he is the baby....number 8. We grew up doing most everything together and it's crazy it has been that long. Oh, and apologies for the picture.........my kids say I look freaky in it. But ANYONE would be if you hadn't seen your sibling for that long, right?
Mom and Dad even took me to the movie theater (Saving Mr. Banks) the night before. Even though it started at 9:45 (11:45 my time) I was wide awake with the "ah"-factor of going to a movie again....it's been well over a year. It's okay staying up that late though because ya know what? When you are traveling alone you CAN sleep in. And sleep in, I did.
I love it how my parents and I can go to the temple and it takes 20 minutes to get there (as opposed to 2 hours I have to drive here). It was neat to go back to the place I was married in. We had to take a picture together because we matched.
Then Mom and I headed over to my brother's house to see them.
Although it was a short 45 minute stop it is ALWAYS nice to see my sweet nieces and nephews!!!!
And of COURSE my brother. Although it may LOOK like he's taller in the below picture, he's really not. We are indeed the same height......just wanted to make that clear. ;)
That night I drove back down to my sister's house to stay a few days. Literally each house I stayed at I was spoiled.....like royalty spoiled. This was my most consistent view at this house though.......Vivian sitting across from me, playing Golf. Oddly enough, she beat me more then I beat her!!!! (And I am NOT one to just let ANYONE win.....this girl has skills)
My nieces (and their parents.....let's be honest) treated me to a yogurt date too
and then some mean games on the xbox kinect/sports games.
Normally I would've been taking a gazillion pictures, but my luggage didn't make it when I did and by the time my camera got there the screen was all messed up. So darn. But I'm kinda glad me running in the track game (while holding my belly up) and boxing my niece wasn't recorded. (couldn't move my arms in the next day) My kids probably would've disowned me after witnessing those moments.











2 comments:
What a fun SURPRISE! I bet your parents and siblings were beyond thrilled to have you all to themselves for a while!! I love the first picture of your dad's face when he opened the door, it's so sweet!
How awesome! Glad you had a fun trip away by yourself visiting all your family! I bet the sealing was so great to go to also. Hopefully the kid arrangement worked out well. Did Brooks have time off? I was a bit stressed about that when I went to Utah in December. It all worked out, but was still stressful. What a fun trip!!!!
Post a Comment