Brooks has been on an ER rotation so has been leaving in the morning at 10 and gets home around 10:30pm. So on Thanksgiving morning before he had to leave for work I made asked Brooks to deal with the turkey.
I just have a hard time with meat. If it has bones or resembles it's "former shape/self" then I just don't have much to do with them.
Brooks of course changes everything into an anatomy lesson and told the boys to stick their hand in the turkey and pull out what they can find
(Camden's face says it all....)
Wow! The sack of treasures with all the organs in it. *GAG*
Here is Brooks pointing out to the boys the heart where the blood goes in and yadda yadda (I tuned out)
The turkey really was QUITE the entertainment for the morning though.
The "wingspan" for some reason was REALLY interesting to them.
So with that, Brooks was off to work to help save people from their electric carving knife wounds and Turkey Bowl blunders...........while I save the world one Thanksgiving feast at a time.
It was actually SUCH a nice slow paced day. I put each kid in charge of a dish. The day before Emerson had made the raspberry/pretzel dish and Iris helped with the potatoes (I make the make-ahead potatoes) and both were in the fridge.
Bronson wanted to make the blueberry cobbler.
Aleeya did the deviled eggs
Another HUGE perk of having just me and the kids is that I didn't have to worry about the "presentation" either. The kids just wanted the food. To illustrate my point, check out Aleeya's eggs......
While all the morning cooking was going on, these three just did this......
pans, spoons, hotpads and a LOT of make believe.
They picked the mid-day "snack" too which consisted of the deviled eggs, mini-pickles, pomegranate seeds, Ritz/cheese sandwiches and celery with peanut butter. (Personally celery w/ peanut butter is an abomination on Thanksgiving to me, but I couldn't find the traditional Degn family cheese spread to put in the celery sticks. Darn.)
After snack I put the younger 4 down for naps, the 3 boys went upstairs to watch football and I shoved the turkey in the oven so I could go take me a nice relaxing "Ensign Bath". I'm telling ya, how many people get to soak in the bath before their Thanksgiving feast?!?!? It was heaven.
I know I always talk about how Royce doesn't speak very much but in the past month he has REALLY tried to start talking. When he woke up from his nap I led him in to see the turkey in the oven and he said, "Oooooo, tu-key". It was so cute that I pulled out he video camera to capture it again. He didn't exactly say it like that, but here is just a sample of his cute voice.
The turkey turned out!!!!! Wa-hoo.
I actually just wanted to sit and stare at it. You see, cutting turkeys or whole chickens really isn't in my......um.....job description? It's more in Brooks' department. For the kids' sake I put on my game face on, pulled out the electric knife and went to town. BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT PEOPLE!!!!
It wasn't too hard though because it kept just falling off the bones and the dreaded "detach the leg at the joint" thing turned out to not be that vomit-provoking for me.
Another perk about having a low-key Thanksgiving is that there wasn't a set time to have things done or any stress. I just called the kids in when I was done. They each grabbed a can of A&W Rootbeer (their special request)........and sat down. Yes, we're high class like that.
AND apparently we don't have a dress code for the feast either. You can come with no shoes, in your pajamas or heck, without a shirt if you're Emerson!
Looking at that full table made me so thankful.......just so so thankful.
One of my favorite things is how EVERY TIME we sit down to eat any meal that Royce will go behind Kellyn's seat and move her close to his seat. He always feeds her and wants her close to him. When she is NOT in her chair, she always walks over to him and opens her mouth. She knows how to work it and WHO is the sucker.
It was truly such a peaceful, relaxing day full of gratitude. As I sat at that table FULL of food and full of children, I couldn't help but be grateful for it all........and a husband who has a job to provide all of it for us.
(Don't feel too sorry for him, the hospital catered the docs a big ol' Thanksgiving meal)














6 comments:
So sweet Baloo! Love the joy you get out of your little ones too! And so tender about Royce taking care of Kellyn all the time.
MAJOR GAG with the anatomy lesson!! I hate pulling the insides out of the turkey and I don't even look at them! Other than that...looked like a great day :) I love hearing Royce talk, he has the sweetest voice to go with that little smile! The best picture is definitely of Royce and Kellyn eating together, it's so cute! Looked absolutely delicious!
It looks like a fun day!! Livie would have loved to join you in her jammies. She didn't want to go to my moms because she wanted to stay in her jammies all day. The thing is, my mom would have loved it if we all showed up in our jammies. I love the picture of Royce and Kellyn eating together. When I saw the picture of all the kids at the table, my first thought was "Poor Kellyn, she seems like she's in the boonies." I love that Royce pulls her close to him. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Im so glad I'm not the only one who gets squeamish when dealing with meat. Its so gross. Cool tho that brooks doesnt mind it so that the kids are sure to get their anatomy lesson in; hilarious.
Looks like yall had a great, low key thanksgiving. Arent those always the best?! Bummer that brooks missed out. I know yall missed him.
Great Thanksgiving Day! Sounds like it was perfect...except Brooks being at work of course.
I thought you where celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday when Brooks was home. But I'm so glad you got to celebrate with the kids on Thursday. I loved the video of Royce saying Turkey and "gobble gobble" and I also really loved the sudden appearance of Aleeya straight out of bed. Your turkey turned out great and lucky you for not having to deal with the whole pulling out the insides and all that. I also enjoyed not having to deal with it. ;)
Post a Comment