Sunday, June 24, 2012

Touched

Today I had to speak at church while Brooks was at an Orientation for his new residency. I've been to church many times w/o Brooks but this time I would be up front for 15-ish minutes while the 6 kids were sitting down in the audience. A nice mom and teenage daughter that my kids loved volunteered to sit with them during my talk. I still had to have everything perfectly prepared w/ a whole bag of "Plan Bs" just in case. And considering church starts @ 9 and we have to leave the house @ 8:25a.m. most things needed to be prepared the night before since I wouldn't have Brooks' hands to help in the morning. After I set out their clothes, I couldn't help but smile at my 6 little piles. It makes me so happy and truly feel.....well filled. (also, excited to add a 7th pile!!!!!)
My kids were champs during sacrament meeting (1+ hour long). There were some major wiggles w/ the younger kids but before church we had talked w/ Bronson, Camden, Emerson and Aleeya about really helping Mommy out. I still had my reservations but the you'll-get-a-big-brownie-at-the-end-of-church seemed to get through quite nicely.

I looked down the bench and noticed Camden reading to Royce while he was on his lap. Emerson trying to put Iris' bracelet back on (that she was INSISTING on). Aleeya snuggled next to Bronson and I couldn't help but be touched.
As crazy/adventurous/fun/teasing as my older kids can be sometimes, they truly are a help to me. I love how helping out is just part of a large family. They don't question when I say, "put Royce's shoes on please" or "grab Iris a cup of water", etc.

Iris doesn't swim and is frankly quite scared of the water.........Emerson knew this and I found them walking down the river like this earlier this week at the zoo. Sweet older brother.....watching out for his younger sister. It just warms my heart because I felt like that about my older brothers.
 As fun as dunking yourself and chasing ducks in the river is, it didn't phase Bronson to come over and help Royce so he could get in the water too. I didn't even ask. 
During church Emerson's class even came to our Relief Society (adult women class) and sang "I am a Child of God" for us. I was crying (obviously) but as he said the words, "Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with Him someday", I felt so honored to have his little trusting heart in my home. 
After church I got in the Yeti, with my full car of kiddos and truly felt happy, completely fulfilled and.......well......blessed. Blessed to have kids that help out (Bronson was on keep-Royce-awake-'til-we-get-home duty), that have larger hearts then I do, and how each contribute to the common good in my home. 
Since my talk WAS on "Sacrifice", I was humbled in thinking that my kids already have spirits that understand that, and act on it daily. 

And yes, they DID get their brownie when they got home.

5 comments:

AnnMarie said...

As the oldest of eight kids, I definitely did my share of helping the younger ones. I'll admit, sometimes it rankles to be the default babysitter and sibling-helper, but I also have to admit that those opportunities to serve my family have greatly blessed me. I have grown to love each of them more and felt the Savior's love for them (and for my poor, exhausted parents), too. I think it's awesome that your kids are learning the same lessons and experiencing the same blessings. People who insist big families means someone is neglected are missing out.

Miles said...

I love this post! Awesome and well said, Melissa! Way to see the helpers in them with a thankful heart.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I make those piles too! Sometimes they are stacked on top of each other though. But last night I laid some on the couch too. It's so exciting that you will have a 7 kids!!! It's the number of kids I was initially planning on. But we have "7" people in our family, so I got my "7" wish in a different way. Glad everything went so well! Great job Mom! It takes a lot of dedication and hard work on your part to have the amazing kids that you do!

Emma and Dan said...

You're amazing. That's all I have to say about that.

I just realized that you mentioned pictures on your cell phone in a previous post. When you guys break down and take the plunge?!

Rachel K said...

Love!! I struggle with when to force my kids to be nice to each other... wondering weather it helps or hinders in nurturing their relationships with each other. It sure is nice when they just do it naturally because they want to. =) Cute piles... I need to be more organized like that, although Beya never wants me to pick out what she wears. Do you have battles with your girlies over their outfit or do u let them pick it out the night before?