Thursday, March 3, 2011

Guess I don't fit in

Have you noticed that some specific modes of transportation have clubs or cliques?

I don't think I've ever belonged to one. My "Shaggin' Wagon"that I had in high school wasn't really all that cool (to the outsiders, anyway, I thought it rocked).
However, when I bought the Yeti, I figured I've reached club status for SURE because there's PLENTY of those driving around!(here's a little reminder of what it looks like when we got it back in September):
(was Aleeya's mullet REALLY that bad!?!?! Ug.)

You may be wondering what I mean by "Club". Let me explain.
Haven't you noticed that when motorcycles pass each other on the road they ALWAYS wave or give a nod?
And I had a friend in high school that had a Jeep and whenever I drove w/ him he would wave to other jeeps (okay, just the lifting up of the hand off the steering wheel thing), and they would do the same.

So I decided to try it on the other 15 passenger drivers out on the road with me......just to see if there's some secret 15 passenger van club that I never knew about.
The first 15 passenger I passed, I waved, nothing happened......except they DID stare.
(I'm not sure if the fact that I had 6 kids in the back had something to do w/ it or not....)
Same thing with the next 4 vans I saw.
The 5th van (was actually a work van) DID wave to me though.....and I wished I hadn't waved because the guy kind of scared me......and I REALLY wished that red light wasn't so long to have been sitting there next to his van for so long. Yikes.

Time after time my experiment failed and there's no club afterall.........or if there IS a 15 passenger van club it's usually not made up of larger families with young kids.

Who needs THEM anyway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

Suzanne said...

All the people you waved at were probably being SHUTTLED to/from an AIRPORT! So, being out-of-towners, they figured they didn't know you! That's it.

There's too many minivans around town where I live to wave at them all - I'd never have my hands on the wheel if I tried! :)

But, back when I drove a Suburban (let it rest in peace) I guess I kind of felt like part of a "club" - it was always a conversation piece - and I was real popular for the ward to call when they needed transportation for youth groups! ;)

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

That post was funny. My family (growing up) and your family--we could have been in a club together. Oh well.

Cortney said...

If you drove by me I'd wave. ;)

Unknown said...

Who was your friend in high school I dont remember any one of us having a jeep