Monday, August 9, 2010

Random thoughts from a random person

On a totally, completely random note:
- Brooks put down new padding under our carpet in the basement and we have yet to break down a wall, no worries though, I've got some major biceps......even though the gym and I haven't been friends lately.....or not really on good terms.

- I tried a free membership thing to Sam's Club on Saturday. Maybe it's just me, but I looked around at EVERY price and new they could be beat or matched at Aldi's or someplace and I don't have to buy a membership there. I guess I just don't understand that whole thing. To go for bulk, I can understand that, but to save money, it wouldn't do it for me. As I walked past the cereal, for example and saw this "sale" of $5 for what would be like 2 boxes of cereal, I couldn't help but think how Harris Teeter PAID me $4 to take 15 boxes of cereal off their hands earlier that morning. Granted, I DID get some 25 lb bags of flour, yeast and vanilla for a good price, but seriously, that's it. But it was worth it because we needed more of those things in our food storage.....so it wasn't a total loss.

-What is it with me having random sets of twins in my kids? These two look so much alike, but they ALL claim Iris as their favorite

- You know, sometimes when you get too caught up in what's going on with you, you get a little discouraged. I was reminded yesterday of the simple fact that if you look outside yourself and help someone out, you feel like a million bucks. Why don't I always remember that? This week I also heard from our ONLY family out here in the east, who let us LIVE with them for a summer and who spoil my kids rotten, that "Aunt Debbie" is pretty much in her last stage of lung cancer. My heart just broke. Not because I don't understand or know what happens after this life, but to be reminded of what's really important and who and what matters here in this short time on earth. I'm hoping to load the kids up and drive on over to Nashville to see her soon.

- I wasn't planning on going out during "Tax Free Weekend" here in North Carolina for school supplies, because I thought I didn't really need anything since the boys have school uniforms next year (YAY for that!), but it dawned on me, they need new boxers/briefs (my boys are pretty picky now) and socks. It was nice not to have to pay tax, but I absolutely HATE spending money on stuff like that. On outfit? Shoes? I would be fine with, but spending money on things we don't even SEE?!?! Or SHOULDN'T see (I better clarify that with my boys)...........that stinks. I did get Camden some new shoes though so that made me feel better.........not that anyone would see them outside of school people because he doesn't wear shoes much, but you get the idea.

-Our fig tree is TOTALLY producing right now, along with our raspberries. With as much as we pick everyday you would THINK we would have plenty to share, but we keep eating them to fast. Plus, it's an added bonus when the kids say, "I'm bored" and I say, "Go climb the tree and pick figs" and they get pretty excited.......2 awesome activities for the price of 1......AND it prolongs when I feed them snacks. Score.

-There was a talk yesterday in church on journal writing. It was awesome. Totally brought a new outlook to it and motivated me more.....because I'm not REALLY good at my own. I don't really consider my blog my journal, obviously, because there are definitely some personal and spiritual things I wouldn't share on here. But I DID want to pass on the best idea my sister gave me before I had my first child. She's not a scrapbooker at all, but she went and bought a spiral bound journal for each of her kids. She wrote in it while pregnant, "the birth day", and continues to do it now. I'm WAAAAY behind on scrapbooking.....infact, Aleeya just turned one in her scrapbook and Iris doesn't even have one......but I have kept up on their journals. I love reading back on the differences in pregnancies, weight gains, likes/dislikes, etc. I'll record little phrases they say, things they do, their favorites, my thoughts about them, my philosophies on anything really that I want to share with that particular child, blessings they received from their dad, etc. I'll even have family write in them when they come to visit. Brooks will also write every once and a while. I would've LOVED to know more about me as a baby/child/teenager, etc. (however, I have a pretty good idea, Aleeya is SHOWING me what I was like) So anyway, don't think of it as my advice (because I'm not the give-advice-to-everyone-anytime type of a person, I just give what works for me when asked), think of it as my sister's that I highly recommend.............Now if I could be as good in my OWN journal!

-Last but not least, the boys finished up their t-ball season today. It really was fun watching them play. Brooks finished his Spring Softball last week, and thankfully he has Fall Softball starting up this week. The kids love going to his games.


No comments: