Sunday, March 6, 2016

Resilient Chicks

A lady in our church was going out of town but ALSO ordered three new 1 day old chickens. She asked us to chick-sit them.
I REMINDED her how many kids we had and the AGES of them and wondered if she wanted to reconsider. But she ASSURED me she wanted the new chickens to be used ot being around people, be handled a lot and given attention.
If THATS what she wants then she came to the RIGHT place.

PLUS it was good practice since Brooks wants chickens one day.
Emerson, Camden and Royce even got to pick them out and name them.


Anna-Coal (she is dark as coal) is on the left. Emerson named her.
Royce named Lloyd who is in the middle (yes, we told him is was a GIRL chicken, but nowadays names are gender interchangeable I guess)
And Camden's Tweety is on the right.

Right after we brought them home. A LOT of admiring.




I loved Tweety the most because she was so snuggly and liked to hide in the kids' neck and hair.
Oooooor maybe she's hiding from Everly's ever-present finger.


The chicks really entertained my three at-home kids during the school day. 

Royce and the ever-feminine Lloyd.


They liked to snuggle into my bathrobe a lot.....or maybe they liked the perch of my belly......or that I cupped them and made them feel safe. Not sure.


However they DID poop a lot. Especially Anna-Coal who probably always had the literal-crap scared out of her by my kids, but we WERE asked to get them used to humans.
First thing Everly asked for after her naps were the "chickees"
This picture cracks me up because if you look at Everly's sash the chicken pooped on it and Everly had no idea and kept playing with Tweety.

They turned out being more like pirate birds then snuggly chickens because they kept climbing onto our shoulders.

When she came to pick up the chickens I breathed a sigh of relief that 1) We kept them alive and
2) the minor burning/almost-fire I started with their lamp didn't kill them or damage her container TOO bad.
When the lady went to hold her chickens she said, "I've never had baby chickens so used to humans by 5 days old! They're not even running from me!"

Our family's new advertisement sign:
Please send us your animals* that need to be USED to humans.
*we cannot guarantee they will be returned alive





2 comments:

Miles said...

So fun!! It makes me so chick hungry!! 2 more weeks...

Nikki said...

So cute!!!! I don't miss taking care of our chickens, but I do miss them as chicks!