Monday, January 18, 2016

Pregnancy Update


I'm 22 weeks now. I know, I know......it FEELS like I should be 46 weeks by now! Baby being a one-pounder (looks closer to 6) and the size of a spaghetti squash (as if we all know what size that is!).

I'll back up a little.......

19 weeks I reached my pre-pregnancy weight again (after losing so much) but it's funny because it has PORKED on since then. I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the chocolate covered almonds that keep disappearing. On the healthy side, berries have NEVER tasted so good. As in I keep downing containers. If Strawberry Shortcake pops out of me in May I wouldn't be surprised at all.

20 weeks I still hadn't felt the baby move yet....which was weird because I usually feel my babies move closer to 16 weeks. Since I haven't been in to a doctor yet (I know, no surprise there!.....in my defense I have one on call every day!) I told Brooks he needed to take me to his clinic to listen for a heart beat on their office doppler. His work is about 25 minutes away, but we still jumped in the car one night anyway to head on over. I was SO relieved when I heard a pretty darn strong 152 heart beat. I told Brooks, "I was beginning to get all worried I was having a fake molar pregnancy and growing some weird mass you used to dissect in Pathology. I mean what if this mass I have killed myself over was a big ol' ball of hair and nails!!!!!" (Have I mentioned my pregnancy dreams are kinda crazy?) He thought my concern was ridiculous but with new peace that I INDEED had a baby in me, we drove home. Two days later, of course I started feeling the baby move. Molar masses don't kick like this.

21 weeeks. I couldn't help but think and notice that my belly is a lot bigger then other pregnancies. Other people are kind enough to mention I look bigger as well. #mentalpunchintheirface.  I think I just stick out farther for being in the supposed "honeymoon" stage of the pregnancy..... then again it IS #9, but still.... But when I lay down and doctor-husband measures the fundal height I'm measuring right on track. It's just when I stand up and all my other organs and innerds that are angry with me decide to poke themselves out. I'm kinda in a battle with a few of my organs. I'm determined to show them who is boss..... they just might be tougher then me. #Ihateadmittingdefeat.  I did have an amazing surprise last week though when my husband just picked me up from the house and then dropped me off at a hotel for the night.....by myself.....with a king size bed. Do you REALIZE what kind of a pregnancy nest I can make with 8 pillows?!?!? It was the most heavenly surprise. It was nice to relax my sore muscles from the family soccer game the day before.....that I LOST in. Losing is becoming more common for me. :)

We find out the gender in 10 days. It's KIND OF a super big deal around here. Like more then ever before.....because this baby is the 
TIE BREAKER!!!!!!!
With 4 boys and 4 girls already, this baby will determine "who wins".......and SINCE my family is kind of competitive, you can imagine the hype. Boys have always "won" around here ever since we had our first baby. And as MUCH as I HATE odd numbers, #9 is proving to be pretty exciting.

When I found out I was pregnant Brooks and I just looked at each other and said, "This BETTER be a boy". 
It just sometimes feels like this house is a dam teetering on being flooded and broken down by an ocean of estrogen.
Estrogen that manifests itself in eye rolls, defiant stares and sassy comebacks followed by tears and emotional declarations for the whole world to hear. Then again this SAME estrogen cares for the babies, snuggles them, changes their diapers and creates little imaginary games to entertain the little kids.

On the FLIP SIDE testostrone making its presence known with sticks, dunking contests (then primal screams of victory), wrestle competitions (with brackets and all) downstairs, de-pantsing, teasing and killing all the bugs I don't like having in my house. When I took Royce to get his kindergarten shots last week, I had a hard time wrapping my mind around HIM being my "baby boy" if this one wasn't a boy.
HOW IS MY BABY BOY SO BIG?!?!?

I just REALLY miss holding a little bundle of blue.

Then recently I've seen Kellyn and Everly who play SO well together for hours. I think of them growing older and having a little sister just like them to share a room with and be the three 
musket-ettes together. Now THAT would be cute.

So now I sound like one of those moms that says, "I don't care which gender it is".....but first and foremost, I'm just THRILLED it's actually a baby, that moves and kicks. 
Unlike EVERYONE else in my household who has a DEFINITE preference on "who should win", I can actually see the fun and pros in having either gender. 

It's gonna be a LONG countdown until the ultrasound..........

5 comments:

hughesfamily said...

The gender date is in my calendar, so I will be stalking you even more than usual around then.

Cannot wait!!! I feel like I'm finding out my own gender! That's how excited I am!

Also, when you say things like your first reaction was to hope for a boy... I can't even tell you how much better that makes me feel about my own parenting. Lily is so crazy. Reese is not as crazy- but is still definitely an emotional roller coaster at times. I just feel better that I didn't create their emotional craziness!

I really do believe you- I love having both genders, and either way, this baby will be SOOO loved and so adorable!

hughesfamily said...

To clarify- not MY gender. The gender of one of My kids. Haha.

Page said...

Twins!!! Is that a possibility???

Miles said...

Man alive, that little Royce is Brooks's mini-me! I'll be thinking of you for the next 9 days and hoping you'll be quick to share the news! I'm also rooting for twins!!!

Jordan and Laura said...

That picture of Royce just melted my heart. And he IS your baby boy!! How crazy!!!