Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Not in my job description....

There are SOME things that I leave almost entirely to Brooks and obviously there are some things he leaves to me. One of the things I let Brooks handle (if I can) is the whole medical thing. Obviously because that's what he's trained in but also because some things really give me the willies.

Case in point........a staple in a finger.

NOT in my job description.

Last week when I saw "School Nurse" pop up on my phone at 2:30 pm (the time school gets out) I thought, "Oh great.....HERE we go again! Whatever it is can wait until they get home can't it? I mean their little scratch on their foot won't hinder them much.....or their sore pinky, yadda yadda" 
I really get called over the most RIDICULOUS of things from the nurse
I picked up the phone and she said Emerson was in his office and has a staple in his finger.
Um......okay. I asked if he was fine and she said he wasn't complaining at all, hadn't cried and doesn't have a fever. (Phew, glad she checked the fever because I HEAR staples cause a LOT of fevers!!! not )

She assured me it was REALLY in his finger (I was picturing hanging out a little because they exaggerate) and I needed to come pick him up immediately.
Since he was okay, I told her that I couldn't get over there yet. I had 4 children sleeping and 3 getting off the bus to come home in a 1/2 hour, so I would be by after that. In the meantime she told me he was just going to hang out with his teacher. 
"Okay, fine. Just tell Emerson to work on his homework while he's waiting"

I smiled when I hung up the phone. Emerson spending time with his teacher? hahaha. He has "the prettiest teacher in the whole school", so I KNOW he was just fine with the arrangement.

I finally got over to pick him up from school and he REALLY had a staple stuck in his finger. I guess the nurse WASN'T crying wolf this time!

 But don't you worry about Emerson......he had a great time with his teacher. Since he "couldn't do his homework" with the staple in his writing finger, he sat RIGHT next to his teacher and dictated what she could write for him on his homework. I really WISH I had a picture with him and his teacher.....it would make this visual so much better.

But back to his finger. The above picture doesn't do it justice. I mean the thing was IN there enough to kinda "dimple" around it!!! It made my stomach turn.
 I quickly texted Brooks and asked when he would get home and then looked at Emerson, calmly smiled and said, "Ya know what would make that feel better? Ice cream!" So we stopped at McD's on the way home.
Oddly enough the ice cream didn't 100% cure the staple problem. Weird. It usually fixes most other things...

How did he get it IN there? Oh, he as helping his teacher of course (I raise brown-nosers and I'm proud of it) stapling things for the class. What I do NOT understand is HOW he got it in that place in his finger. I mean think about it. You would really have to bend your finger around under the staple gun to get it there. I can understand on the TOP of a finger but on the bottom? Really, it must've taken talent.

Emerson was fine until I got Brooks' text to say to bring him into his clinic. It was around 5:30 so all the nurses were getting ready to go home and had nothing to do but come see "Dr. Smith's adorable children". Not sure if it REALLY hurt when it came out (he didn't cry when it went in......his teacher said he was "so brave") or if it was a show for the nurses, but you can bet they had plenty of bandaids there waiting for him. Well, at least the nurses that were there with Emerson and not the ones that were trying to corner Royce from doing laps around the clinic and weaving in and out of all the rooms.

I wanted to finished the chairs in our dining room while Brooks was camping (!!!!!! I know miracles never cease) Friday night with the youth in our church. I didn't have a staple gun though. 
 Brooks said he would go and pick a staple gun up before he left and Emerson said, 
"NO!!! ANYTHING but a staple gun!"

Anyway, here was the nasty covering of the chairs before
 I have never done anything like that before so it was kinda a big deal. I used our old curtains as the fabric and put vinyl on top to make them wipe-worthy. Here is Royce putting the weight on the chair so I could screw the finished product back on.
 When Bronson and Camden saw me doing that they said, "Why don't you just use Dad's drill?" Well, I had never used one and didn't know how. I know, I know.....but usually that's in Brooks' job description. ;) Bronson and Camden taught me how and man oh man, it went SO must faster after that.

Here's the finished product with the magnolias on the table the kids picked off our tree. I didn't mean to, but the fabric actually matches the silhouettes on the wall. 
So although I still let Brooks handle the medical stuff, I DID later step out a little of my comfort zone/job description and tackle the drill gun. 
HUGE stapled-thumbs up for that!

2 comments:

Emma and Dan said...

That staple is in there so much worse than what I imagined when I read your post about the staple on fb. I can't imagine how that happened. Poor, silly boy. You'll have to have him take a pic with the teacher on the last day and post it here. :) The chairs look great. Vinyl was a genius idea.

Linsey said...

Your chairs look awesome!! I love the covering you choose and I'm super jealous of the pretty magnolias you have to decorate with :) Poor Emerbop, I can't believe how deep it was in his finger!! It is too bad, though, that you didn't get a picture of him with his teacher! And good call letting that fall under Dr Smith's job description!