Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The FIRST broken bone

Last week Aleeya and Emerson had swimcamp in the afternoons from 1-4. 
Meaning.......it was during Aleeya's usual naptime. 
On Wednesday we went swimming with some friends in the morning, came home to eat and then I drove her to swimcamp. She had been swimming for around 6 hours. 20 minutes after she got home Brooks and I looked out the window and saw her OUT COLD on the driveway.

Of course we both grabbed our cameras and chuckled while taking pictures. We just let her rest a little while until I went out later and saw that she had turned her head to the other side.

I love the pavement marks on her cheek. (and her pretty little rose-colored lips)

 The first of the week of swimcamp Emerson did NOT like it and Aleeya loved it. He SLOWLY warmed up to it and by Thursday he came home loving it because he had a friend.

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday........

I went to the temple w/ 3 of my girl friends and so I was gone from 4:30-midnight. Meanwhile at home the kids played kickball with Daddy. I guess when Emerson kicked the ball and ran to first he decided to slide (seriously, how many times do we need to say YOU DON'T SLIDE TO FIRST!!!) and his wrist was bent down. As in his fingers were basically giving his forearm a high five.

Bronson heard a crack.He had SOME mobility and since he's SOOO dramatic anyway Brooks decided just to watch him and see how he felt in the morning. 
I had NO idea any of that occurred so the next morning when Emerson starts talking about not being able to go to swimcamp because his hurt hand, I of COURSE got a little suspicious. (I WASN'T BORN YESTERDAY YA KNOW!!!!)

I texted Brooks and he said he's probably not faking. He ended up staying home from the last day of swimcamp....RIGHT when he started liking it. The wrist just hung lose by him and even when he tried to play his gameboy, he just couldn't (now we were 99% SURE it was broken!!!). The clencher was when we were in the Yeti and Brooks said in order to get a cast on it, the doc might need to break his hand again. And if it doesn't look like the other hand then he might have to break his right arm also.
Emerson just sniffed and said, "Okaaaaaay" *sniff*

NOW we were 100% sure. A friend of  Brooks' x-rayed it to confirm the break (I'm tellin' ya, after the gameboy, I already knew!) and Brooks was able to do his FIRST cast. (I think Brooks was a teeny bit excited.....in a weird way.....that it was actually a break so he could try his hand at putting on a cast)

The cast doesn't bother Emerson yet. He DID say that when he takes it off in 3 weeks that a "whole ocean is going to spill out" because of all his sweat though. (This coming from a kid who HAS to sleep with his shirt off.)

And the cast has proven to calm Kellyn down quite a few times. She just loves to bang on it.



We played 4-square last night for the Family Home Evening game and Emerson loved his new "mallot" that he could smack that ball with. I think he'll like the upcoming attention on top of all the extra wins in 4-square.

The ONLY time he has cried/whined since he's had it though was when Bronson told him that when he was sleeping he would sneak over and write with permanent marker on the cast, 
"I love Eleanor"

Yes, it was pretty close to a meltdown.

3 comments:

Adriana said...

I never thought of it, but you are so right. For having seven kids and this being the first broken bone is pretty good and unbelievable. I bet Brooks was super excited about doing his first cast. But the best part was when Bronson told him he would right "I love Eleanor" when he was sleeping jajajajajaja I wish he would have! He would have to wear it for three weeks! So I guess the cast is coming off right before school starts..? Is he excited about that or did he really wanted to show his friends his cast? And the pavement marks on Aleeya's face are hilarious!! I can't believe she just laid there. That cannot be comfortable!

Babelicious said...

Oh no!! What a bummer to have to get a cast in the summer!! Those pictures of Aleeya remind me of Luke laying down on the cement at Sea World and falling asleep while we were in line. Ha Ha..it's so cute. BTW....who is Eleanor??

Linsey said...

Poor Emerson, but what a trooper!! I'm surprised he was able to sleep all night without it bothering him. I love the picture of Brooks and Emerson, Brooks looks so proud! Cute Aleeya. I love her sleeping right on the pavement, she must have been tired or is one of those people that "can sleep anywhere!" I love the look on Emerson's face as Kellyn plays with his cast...what a sweet big brother!