
Most women reading my blog have had babies and have packed a hospital bag.
There are checklists ALL over the internet, in books and at the doctor's office of things you should pack......the usuals like your toiletries, camera, baby outfit, blah, blah, blah.
But I've ALSO noticed that with each time I've figured out more of what I want at the hospital.
I'm curious what different thing YOU put in your hospital bag or things you think are "must haves"!
Some things I put in that aren't on the usual lists:
- treat (cookies/pumpkin bread, etc.) for the nurses and doctor.......you know because I'm a kiss- up. And let's be honest, the nicer you are to them the more they'll keep that Sprite comin'!
- my usual Wint-o-green mints and Twizzlers......along w/ other snacks, but those two have been at EVERY hospital with me.
- my bathrobe. Seriously, it's my best friend. WHY would I go ANYWHERE w/o it?!?!?
- the baby's and my journal and scriptures (that might be on everyone's list though)
-presents from the baby to his older siblings.....so when they come to the hospital it's more fun for them and heck, why not let the baby buy their love, right?
This year I actually added something new.....a few things for Brooks. Last time it felt like we were sitting around for a while and it's like we were bored......not to mention Brooks was hungry because HE doesn't get food like patients do. This last week I stole his Sports Illustrated and Time Magazine before he saw them in the mailbox and rolled them up with a few of his favorite snacks so he could pull them out if needed.
So, I would love to hear what you usually take to the hospital?.......as if my bag could hold much more!
10 comments:
I bring card games so I can do something fun during the "down time" between contractions. We just have to pause the game for each contraction (that is until mr. epidural shows up). I also pack my shaver. I know a lot of people don't care about that while in the hospital but I love that feeling of freshly shaved leggs and let's admit it, anything to make sleeping in those beds more comfortable helps.
I didn't take much but the essentials and I've only had 1 baby so...I'm no help but you were very helpful to me for my next trip to the hospital! =) Thanks!
treats for the doctor and nurses.. awesome idea! good thinking w/ brooks magazines and snacks, too. don't forget the car seat! really though, i'm not very creative. as long as i've got my camera, chap stick, and a few pony tail holders.. i'm good.
I have an extensive list that I give my doula clients. I suggest 2 bags- one for the labor and then one for postpartum.
One of my biggest essentials to tell moms is to bring their own pillow in a bright/distinct pillowcase! They have such crummy, flat pillows there and you rarely get more than one.
I bring as little as possible because I plan on getting the heck out of there as soon as possible. I do bring a new outfit and blanket to bring the baby home in.
I forgot a binkie this last time and wouldn't you know Mallory loves to suck!
I bring my "I am so cute and I just had a baby outfit" I buy a new outfit (like sweat suit or something for every kid. You need to feel cute or at least human when you walk out of the hospital. I also bring my own water bottle. I hate the pitcher/small cup thing it always spills.
As for what I bring to the actually labor, NOTHING, I usually am done way before I get bored!!
hmmm? Let's see. I TOTALLY agree with the own pillow suggestion. That is a must for me. Also warm socks. I don't know why, but after having a baby, I FREEZE and having warm fuzzy socks helps. I load up on the hygiene stuff because it makes me feel human again--nice shampoo, conditioner, lotions, etc. I also prefer my own baby's pj's and blankets to the hospital 'shirts' and pieces of cloth, so I pack lots of fuzzy jammies for baby and a few favorite blankets.
AND of course, the lap top. :)
OH, and my own underwear and pads.. . hate the stretchy things they give and usually only need the 'diaper' size pad for a day, then I want my own.
hmm, can't think of anything else. I guess it's been too long!! :) LOL
Good luck Melissa. I'll be thinking of you and hoping all goes well. I can't wait to see pictures. :)
I am a firm believer in body shaper shorts,(the kind that are like bike shorts but are supposed to suck you in.)
They are really great at making you feel like a million dollars because they hold your pads closer to your body and make your stomach feel flatter and more pulled in. After a shower that was always the one thing that made me feel ready to have visitors.
Last time I was in labor for 24 hours, and I was so glad we brought some movies. I'll be packing those again this time, but you are probably much faster than me! Good luck! I'm so excited for you!
I'm all about having my pillow, I also get a new pair of PJ's that I don't care if they get gross. And I take my I-Pod to listen to music especailly during labor.
Good luck with #6, hope everything goes well.
Post a Comment