I remember playing chess with my dad when I was younger.....a lot. I loved that time with him. I even got pretty good and was telling Bronson how I was in the FINALS in our elementary school Chess competition. Then he had to ask if I won.....to which I said, "No, I got 2nd place to Adam Whitney who beat me on the lamest move EVER!" But of course, I'm not bitter and barely remember the event anyway. So I decided to teach Bronson how to play chess. He caught on REALLY fast and it's actually quite fun to play with him.....or maybe it's because I like winning, one or the other. Anyway, I haven't taught Camden and Emerson to play yet, but I caught them playing last night.

The fact that I haven't taught them how to play and they STILL were playing is PROOF that they are geniuses. IN FACT, they even have more GENIUS of names for the pieces:
King= King (see, they already knew that)
"Big Guy"= Queen.....I think I prefer their name
"Helmet Head"= the Bishop.....of COURSE, he looks like he's wearing a helmet! Brilliant.
Horse= Knight/Horse.....how in the WORLD did they know that?!?!?
"Castle Guy" = Yep, once again, they called it before I told them
"Sneakers" = Pawns......."because they are the little sneaky guys" I mean really, talk about going above and BEYOND the normal game of chess!!!!!
Not to mention they have even TRICKIER rules. They explained to me that you can't get on the black squares, unless you're the king horse and that only Camden can kill three guys in a turn and Emerson can only kill one. But every once and awhile Camden lets Emerson put his guys back ON the board. I'm telling you, I'm thinking these chess rules are going to stick and move on up the chess rule hierarchy and will soon be played in parks all over!.............
all thanks to these two GENIUS boys who didn't even NEED the game explained to them.
4 comments:
totally genius! i love it!
wow, the things you learn about a person in their blog. I didn't know you were the ultimate 'almost' chess champion ;)!!! You're amazing!!!!
o.k. seriously, though. I've been thinking a lot about you and I'm pretty impressed. I can imagine what your plate looks like, and not only do you keep a good attitude, you do EVERYTHING--bake your own bread, teach your kids chess, get free food (ya, I need to figure that one out!), mak it to the temple regularly, I'm sure your house is spotless, you go on dates and vacations, etc. etc. etc. Anyway, just thought I'd tell you you're awesome and I hope everyone around you appreciates how super amazing you are!
I'll never understand chess - it's just not possible - I tried. I don't even know what you just wrote about! :)
We were JUST playing chess this afternoon. I left the room as my boys were almost done...to hear a minute later all the pieces scatter, like a bomb went off...then both boys running around yelling "I WON!!!" Don't think they get it yet...
Post a Comment