Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Our new ride

It is with GREAT hesitation that I write this post for all to see.
I just CAN'T get over the guilt that I might feel KNOWING
that by showing you these pictures, there will come an overwhelming feeling of covetousness
that will fill your whole body and soul.
Yes, I KNOW you'll wish you had our new ride, but try to really think of all the good qualities that your's DOES have, and it might make reading this post more bearable.

Let me start with our vehicle history:
2001: Toyota Supra and a white station wagon
2002-2004: Toyota Supra
(a 2 door sporty car that had our seats pushed ALL THE WAY forward to make room for Bronson's infant carseat)
2004-2007: The Buick Regal
(the car we bought from my grandparents....the white boat that Brooks still drives today)
2007-present: Dodge Caravan
(my brother GAVE this van to us, and it has served us well)
However upon taking our van into the shop a month or two ago the guy just shook his head saying how it barely passed ANY of the tests and it's a wonder it still runs......truth be told, the guy couldn't BELIEVE Brooks let his wife and 5 kids drive it everyday.
It just NEEDED to last until we found the right car......and it did.

We've filled every seat and when this baby comes we knew we needed a new car.....but I was a little picky and had 2 requirements:
#1- needed to at LEAST seat 9.
(if we have our wish this baby won't be our last, so it would be silly to just upgrade for one baby)
#2- no car payment.
YES, we could afford a car payment, but we've never had one in the past and would like to pay cash for the vehicle. Plus, I'm not a fan of debt if there is a way around it.

AND WE SUCCEEDED WITH BOTH OF THOSE REQUIREMENTS!!!!
Drumroll please.....................

Ta-Da!
We haven't officially named it yet, but Brooks calls it the Beast. I can't figure out why.
It's a 15 passenger van, 1989, with 61,000 miles on it!
CAN YOU BELIEVE THE LOW MILEAGE?!?!?
A Moravian Church owned it (hence the letters you can sort of still see saying "Mayodan Moravian Church" on it.....look to my left in the picture) and took great care of it. The inside is pristine!
The kids couldn't be MORE excited!!!!
After seeing the van Camden came back and said, "Mom, you've just GOTTA buy that van!"
And he didn't even WHINE about going to school this morning (his new thing....he's not a fan of school, and I hear it EVERY morning) because I drove him in the new van to the bus stop.

Yes, we're thrilled and very thankful our prayers have been answered.

And plus, it's not THAT much bigger then our other van, right?
Btw- I have to add, that all those options in the poll were SERIOUS options that we were looking at. (I should've included pictures of each one) I'm not too prideful to drive a short bus, no sir-ee.

12 comments:

Niederfam said...

So glad you found what you were looking for!!!! Fantastic. 61 K I CANNOT believe that. Let the good times.....ROLL..........eh?!

Davis and Laura said...

Take this as well as you can...but this fits you family perfectly! I love it!!!!!!! And I guessed right, do I get a prize? OH! And a family in my ward growing up had one of these and I babysat their kids once and that thing was awesome! It was like driving a mini bus...fun stuff.

Jessica said...

I love it, and I think that The Beast is a great name! Think of all the fun times to be had with The Beast!

Leah said...

With the right paint job, it could be the mystery machine! LOL All I can say is bless your heart!

Anonymous said...

you already know this, but YOU'RE MY HERO.

Robyn said...

So my parents actually had one of those big 15 passenger vans growing up and it was AWESOME for long road trips. Less fights too since we had more room to spread out.

Janene said...

Oh, I love it! Definitely feeling covetous! Your posts always make me smile... :)

Valerie and Adam said...

We used to drive around in a van that size. You've gotta admire anyone who can safely maneuver that thing! My parents took out one of the middle seats and moved the last one up so we had more room for luggage and stuff in the back---we didn't quite need all 15 seats. Ours was named "Brownie," and our second one "Marshmallow," named after their colors. Yeah, we're creative thinkers.

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Stanno drives a 2000 Altima. I must be as cool as Brooks since I drive a 2000 Buick Regal. I am thinking the cool factor is raised a little because it also says "super charged" on the back of it! Congrats on the "new" van!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Love, love. LOVE the van!!! Sooo sweet! I totally agree about the debt--why go in debt when you don't have too (and LOTS of people don't have too.) Lee and I also have never had a car payment. Isn't it great??!! I am excited to show Lee this post. He'll love it. It reminds me of a light blue van we had growing up.....15 passenger.

Suzanne said...

Maybe you can get a side job of shuttling people back & forth from the airport, too! :)

I need a brother who will just GIVE me a car!