Sunday, September 12, 2010

NOT useless.


I used to tease Brooks that his choice of Pathology has proven to be useless to me.
(Of course it's a living and he loves it, and he provides for our family, but that's not what I mean)
Not that I don't think what he does in IMPORTANT.....because it is (take a look at any of your recent doctor bills that you had some lab work done, you'll probably see a Pathology bill as well), but as far as the family uses. For example, an OB would be SUPER useful right now, or sometimes more Pediatrician contacts would be nice. But seriously, unless I'm dead and need an autopsy, he can't professionally be of much help to our friends here or our family.

UNTIL LAST WEEK.
So I will NOW take back it ALL! Every last word of what I've EVER said.
Brooks' profession is quite handy afterall. And I could repeat that a few more times even.

Our sweet Emerson lately has had an itchy hiney. (Betcha didn't see THAT one coming) He does this weird dance while sitting on his bum even to try to help. It has hurt him too. Even upon inspection (I'll spare those details), there was nothing that looked out of the ordinary.

So Brooks said he's going to put some packaging tape over Emerson's bum while he sleeps at night. Why, you ask? Well, Brooks wanted to rule out the idea of Emerson having pinworms in him. And I was THEN taught that pinworms live in your intestines and will come out at night and lay eggs around the.......eh hm.......area, where Emerson was itching. Sick huh.
I chose not to be privy to the tape-placement moment, but then Brooks told me when Emerson woke up in the that I WOULD HAVE TO TAKE IT OFF!!!
The LAST thing I wanted was to rip off tape and find little worms.
(Just so you know, I looked online and found some GREAT pictures of pinworms....but they were all REALLY gross, so you can thank me for sparing you all)

Next morning: Picture me, pregnant, sensitive to smells, a weaker stomach in the morning, getting ready to peel a piece of tape OUT of (he apparently got it stuffed up INSIDE during the night) Emerson's back side and hoping NOT to find what I think I'm going to find.
To my surprise I didn't really see anything....but then again, it was all fogged up because the tape ALSO retains any smells that comes its way during the night. Lucky me, right?
Brooks wanted to see the tape and check it out under the microscope.
Then......I lost the tape (in the van, then when I found it, it was covered with OTHER stuff from the van floor, so I threw it away)

So the next night we were going to try it again, but Brooks wasn't going to be here for bedtime, and I was NOT going to put the tape on.

We (meaning Brooks) got around to doing it the NEXT night, with me, ever-so-lucky again getting to take off the tape in the morning.......which I did.......AND took it to Brooks' work (try driving down the road with a piece of bum-tape sitting next to you.....it makes your morning not so pleasant)

Next thing I know, I get an email from Brooks saying under the microscope it was CLEAR AS DAY that Emerson has pinworm. (GASP!)
SICK!!!
However, the doctor over Brooks said that if you take 100 people and tested them, more then HALF of them would have pinworm, and not know it (or some DO and won't admit they have itchy hinies). So just think, half of you reading this have pinworm. Doesn't that make reading this post worth it by itself?!?!?

So what do you do? THANKS to my BEYOND USEFUL husband (and his trusty microscope) in finding this out, we got an OTC drug to kill those darn pinworms. But the WHOLE FAMILY has to take it (except me, because I'm prego).......AND WE (meaning me) needed to wash all the sheets, bedding, undies, etc.
So THAT'S what I was doing ALL DAY SATURDAY and Friday, was washing and washing and washing. (While Brooks was splitting, chopping and stacking wood!) But now everyone is treated with their single dose and I don't hear Emerson complain anymore (that part is worth all the laundry by ITSELF!)

And this was ALLLLL done w/o taking my child into ANY doctor or having another doctor call in a prescription......because afterall, haven't I ALWAYS said, being married to a Pathologist can ALWAYS come in handy?!?!?!

9 comments:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

AHH!!! That would have been frustrating! I am so glad Brooks got it all figured out! That definitely reminds me when we all had scabies. Eww!!! All the laundry and sanitizing...ugh. I am glad it was just a one-time dosage gig. Glad the career is coming in handy!

Valerie and Adam said...

Sad to say I had those a couple of times when I was little. NOT fun at all, any part of it. I'm sure my parents agree. Yuck!

Rachel K said...

Oh Melissa... I just love your posts, dear me, I hope poor Emerson doesn't read this when he's much older. I hope some of his friends don't find it and blackmail him or something with the story... that would be just awful! As if having pinworms wasn't awful enough!
Anyway, it's nice to have your own personal doctor come in handy.
Good luck with all that!

Anonymous said...

You LOST the tape???!!!

Hmachine said...

no fun!!!! However, I'm with Miles. You LOST the tape?????? Hopefully you lost it really well! :) BUT, I'm glad everyone is better! :)

Niederfam said...

Oh dear.........Who knew??? I guess we'll have to use the tape and send our "samples" to Brooks!!! Kidding, don't worry. ;)


Glad the mystery is SOLVED!!!!

Page said...

Ew my little sister used to get those all the time, and I remember always being mad at her that I had to take the pill too.

Suzanne said...

Thanks a lot - I was eating at my computer desk while reading this post....:( What an "appetite suppressant!"

Nyberg Family said...

LOL We thought for sure Jeffrey had pin worms, I even asked the pediatrician about it and he told me what Brian told me. We did the tape test twice and Brian looked at it under the microscope and it turned out to be nothing more than Jeffrey has an obsession with touching his "area." Gross huh? I don't know which is worse, THAT or pin worms! lol I know, TMI!