Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Flood and a true blessing

This month South Carolina was in the national news for some MAJOR flooding. We had constant rain for it felt like a week, but here where we live we probably only got 8-10". (As opposed to Columbia and places close to the coast with over 20" and dams and rivers flooding)

Well, a few weeks BEFORE that we had a few days of GOOD HARD rain. It started while we were at Royce's tball practice where the kids actually caught a frog and a few tadpoles in the creek there.

The rain continued and the next day when the boys got home from school Camden came upstairs and said, "Mom, whatever you think, we did NOT do that downstairs."

I didn't know WHAT to think!
Then I went downstairs to their room and realized there an inch or two of water all over the floor.

Clearly it was a dream come true to some of my kids.

AND the tadpole who could just swim wherever he wanted in the room.

What had happened is the "Sump Pump" in the "mudroom" (literally it's a red clay mudroom) wasn't hooked up right and not draining all the water coming under the house and up through the red clay. So it spilled out into the laundry room (love that I had 8 loads on the ground to fold) and seaped through the walls to the boys' room.

I really was so bothered by it all. The vacuuming up all the water, then mopping, then doing all the laundry, while dinner never got done, yadda yadda.

But looking back, I realized what a blessing the flooding downstairs THAT DAY truly was. 
Why?

Well, had that two-day rain thing not shown us that the sump-pump wasn't working, we would've DEFINITELY found out on the week of flooding in South Carolina. We would've had SO much water in there, it would have been crazy!!!!
We also didn't have any baseball games, soccer or anything that night and I DID have leftovers in the fridge to serve for dinner (I don't always.....my family eats too much)

AND back in September I also had the HEALTH to do all the cleaning, mopping, laundry etc.

You see, we Smiths here have our own little blessing coming our way.
The little boy/girl tie-breaker should be here in May.
Lucky, lucky us.




6 comments:

Miles said...

I saw that SC was under water and I went to email you several times to see if y'all were ok but kept getting my attention called elsewhere. Phew, so glad you so easily see the good in everything. What a disaster! Literally!

And!!!! What fun news from the Smiths! I SO wish we lived closer so I could take your kids and drop by dinner and let you get through the awful first trimester. Congrats you amazing woman, you!

And, please for the love of all that is holy let Royce have a baby brother!

gloverfamily said...

Agh!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!

noni said...

congratulations~!!!!! So happy for yall.

AnnMarie said...

It's interesting how often blessings come to us disguised as trials. I think I'm currently in the middle of one of those blessings-wrapped-in-a-trial, and this is a good reminder to examine myself and my situation for things I can learn so I'm prepared for when larger things happen.

And congrats! You've officially surpassed the Saunders family headcount, which I'm sure you haven't worried about at all, but it's the standard by which I judge all families, ha.

Niederfam said...

AHHHHHH Congratulations........Seriously the positive vibes coming out of you are AMAZING. You are IMPRESSIVE inside and out.

Ruth said...

Sa-Weet! So fun! Sorry you've been sick though. Ugh. Not fun. Seems like you felt better closer to Christmas though? At my ugly sweater party I ended up with a pregnancy test and a bottle. Too funny. I am going to save it and re-gift it next year. Hope the pregnancy goes well!!!