My mom had ONE wish and ONE wish only......it was to get the whole family together for a family picture. I even peeled Aleeya off her sick-bed to come out and smile for it.
Seriously, LOOK at all those cute faces!!!!!

Here is my Mom and Dad with all their "Degn kids" (my indian brother couldn't make it)

Me and my "Brazilian Siblings" (we were the three kids that lived down in Brazil with Mom and Dad)

That day was technically the start of the reunion and also the night of the Degn Family Talent Show.
There were dances, trampoline tricks, a self-written play and I think a musical number?
When my mom mentioned "talent show" I couldn't help but think, "uhhhhh, my family doesn't HAVE any talents besides catching critters, teasing and making a mess." All of which, I don't think my mom wanted displayed.
Finally it dawned on me, what talent "our family" could do. Only, the others bailed on me so it ended up being me and Camden....
What did we do? I did my hum/percussion thing I can do at the same time (it's a serious talent, I tell ya!) while Camden accompanied with armpit (and knee-pit) fart-noises.
I think it's safe to say my family is pretty strong in that area....and if I may be so bold.... TALENTED in that area.
Everyone was just playing until it got dark for the fireworks. And honestly, I NEVER saw my kids and especially my babies the whole time. My sweet nieces just took them over and I never worried a second. Honestly, easiest times I've EVER had with my kids!!!!
The menfolk retired to the shed for a pool-game laced with smack-talk.
These four cousins are the cutest. They are all in the same year in school, all 12 year old cute boys and within 7 months of each other. College Roomates one day maybe?
Time for a quick walk down to the rope swing with Brooks pushing them...
Oh, did I mention that the ropeswing is over a nasty green/algae-covered pond?
DON'T. LET. GO. ROYCE.
Even my 74 year old dad joined in.
Aaaaaand some more family fireworks. #pyrofamily
The day even wore IRIS out....which says a LOT!
These three girls (Vivian, Iris and Toni) are all within 9 months of each other and now sharing a bed to sleep!!!! Both of them are my two sisters' girls. It reminds me of all of our sister-sleepovers in each other's rooms growing up with all the snoring, kicking, drooling, back rubs and giggling all night.
DAY 2
My parents rented this cute "Redneck waterslide" for the family and it turned out to be a blast!

The slide is SO fast. As in REALLY fast and you feel like a bullet being shot out.
Since it's so fast the water flies up in your face so here's Aleeya covering her face. (YAY, she's FINALLY feeling better!
Juuuuuuust in time for KELLYN to get it and lay around ALL day.
Whiiiiiiich, actually ended up being super helpful if I do say so myself.
The menfok were having competitions to see who could reach the field at the very end of the slide. Here's Brooks, donning his sunglasses (to block the water) trying to beat my brothers.
The MOST fun was going down in trains. Can you tell my kids were having a blast?
......EXCEPT Everly.....she didn't much care for it. hahaha
water. in. face.
My sister's dog Bob kept getting sent down the slide. Emerson says he misses Bob more then anyone from our trip to Utah. Wow....


The four 12 year old boys......again.

We woke Kellyn up to go down as well. This was her first time. I don't think she SAW much of it though. haha (she started going down by herself after)
I LOVED going down with my nieces. They are so cute.
And I loved that they kept playing with my girls......again. (Did I mention I've never had an easier time anywhere with my kids?)
A moment of silence to admire those adorable watermelon-cheeks please.
My parents in their old fashioned swimsuits.
And yes, my dad DID go down.
All the grandkids
(except Kellyn who was asleep again and completely knocked out)
I just have to include this picture. These girls (if they weren't playing with older girl cousins) would hide away in the "Girls Room" and play kitchen/house/or who KNOWS what.....but they were in there forEVER. #kellynssmile
At night I hired another babysitter to leave Royce, Kellyn and Everly home so we could go to Pickleville Playhouse with the family.
Loading up a bunch of cousins in a van that the AC doesn't work in the back was fun....apparently the heat didn't bother them!
There a a TON of corners through the canyon up to Bear Lake where Pickleville Playhouse is, which makes it a perfect opportunity to play "corners".


We took up most of the first five rows. Pretty sure we got those seats since my dad played the piano there for over 25 years. ;)


Pickleville is actually one of the places that make me the happiest in the whole world!
My sis and I have spent MAAAAAAANY-a-summers up there with dad. Either of us could probably still break out into any of the songs performed there from our childhood.....with the dance moves too.


I performed there 4 summers total but only two of those with my sis. Such happy memories with my dad and her. (2001)
We tried to re-create the above shot and totally got the wrong sides of my dad to stand on. :)
It doesn't show....but my kids really LOVED it.
DAY 3
Before everyone split we needed to do ONE more family tradition....
A WATER SACK FIGHT!
Since water sacks can legitimately hurt and leave some MAJOR mark-age we broke it up into two "rounds". The first where the little kids could throw bags at their parents and we gently threw them back.
Speaking of back, my brother Matt got Aleeya RIGHT in the back as she was running away.
Royce even got me good.
Then it was the "Big-Kid" round.
To say it was intense and red-mark-making would be an understatement.
One of my favorite additions to the game is when one breaks the "rules" then they get lined up in front of the firing squad.
I can't remember what Camden did (pretty sure my brothers make up rules as they go just to put people in front of the firing squad) but here he is ready for us all to "throw-on-3".
My nephew Caleb decided to face the firing squad instead of turning around. I think this picture depicts the speed at which the bags are thrown pretty good. haha
As we were winding down, cleaning up and packing, something happened that I'm pretty sure I will never forget. I cringe of embarrassment even NOW as I type this.
Emerson caught a snake.
Actually that's nothing new, I realize, but it was what happens next that I want to die!
(the look on Emerson's face basically tells what will happen next but I will continue anyway....)
A certain someone in my family is terrified of snakes and I told him NOT to take it near her, nor obviously in the house.
OF COURSE he did just that, and ended up scaring her to tears. Literally. He made her cry. SHE actually felt bad that she had cried and I'm thinking, UM, IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!
I. FELT. AWFUL.
(and actually so did he)
Sooooooo, I guess that's how we Smiths end a family reunion......with a bang, right?




































5 comments:
It looks like you guys had an amazing time! (Minus the sick kids, of course.) Family reunions are the best. ^_^
So, THAT'S what a big ol Mormon family looks like! I like it. You look so happy. I'm so glad you got to go home for a bit!!
I love the pictures, how fun.... I am so glad that your mom got her wish to have the picture made. It was wonderful. Your parents bathing suits were wonderful.
That last picture of Emerson is priceless!! I love that mischievous look on his face :) Looks like your reunion was a huge success! The slip n' slide looks like such a blast, I love all the pictures of the kids going down it in trains! I bet your siblings loved meeting the kids and I'm sure that was so special for you to have them meet your kids too! I can't believe your trip has come and gone so fast!!
This water slide is definitely on our summer bucket list next year!! It was so fun to have you guys home and to see the kids together!!
Post a Comment